4 Reasons You Should Consider Living In A Home Stay

4 Reasons You Should Consider Living in a Home Stay (Especially in Spain)

Home-cooked meals!!!

40
Julia Hart

With most study abroad programs, you will have the opportunity to choose whether you'd like to live in an apartment with other program participants, a dorm with university students, or a host family. For my program, CIEE, about half of students elected to live in an apartment and the other half with a host family. I chose to live with a host family, so of course I am biased, but I believe living in an actual home with a family is the best way to immerse yourself in another country's lifestyle. These are my favorite perks and things about the experience.

1. Sense of independence

Living with a host family, you will probably either have one other roommate or be on your own. Though this can be extremely intimidating at first, you will quickly learn how to be independent. Even exploring the neighborhood you live in is great immersion.

2. Ease of learning a language

Through my program, my host parents provide two meals. My roommate and I are typically on the run for breakfast, so I typically just grab coffee and a piece of toast, but dinner is when we really connect with the family. Dinners in Spain are typically late and long, so they are the perfect opportunity to practice Spanish. This is incredibly helpful, considering I haven't learned much colloquial, conversational language from my Spanish classes. This makes speaking to other Spaniards so much easier and really makes me altogether more confident in knowing my stuff!

3. Feeling of home

Though I have countless explanations for this one, I have two examples that really show what I am talking about. First, last week was the first time I have ever spent my birthday without my family (at school, they typically visit for a family/friends dinner or something similar). It was strange celebrating my 21st without them, but even in the morning when all of my friends were at class and I had the day to myself, my host mom, Marina, brought me a cake to celebrate. It was so thoughtful of her and reminded me of home immediately. Then, this week I caught the stomach bug and was miserable in bed for a day. Again, Marina and Carlos were quick to help out however they could. They brought me soup, told me how to contact a doctor in Spain, and constantly checked in on me. Both of these times made me feel so lucky to have my host parents, stepping in for my parents when they can't be there.

4. Home-cooked meals

An easy one. I feel pretty fortunate that my host parents are amazing chefs and try not to brag about it to my other friends a lot, but their food is truly delicious. Along with the traditional Spanish foods, like tortilla española and croquettas, they also make Italian dishes, like pasta with pesto and pizza, and Argentinian milanesa. After a long day at school or a long weekend travelling, having someone to cook for you is such a gift.

These are just my favorite things about living in a host family, but I assure you that if you take on the experience for yourself, you will be blessed with your own list! Definitely make the effort and step outside your comfort zone!