Living Back At Home, As Told By Cats

Living Back At Home, As Told By Cats

Moving home from college has perks and downfalls.

19
Living Back At Home, As Told By Cats
Earthables

Typically, after graduation, there's the transition period of moving back home with whoever we lived with before (parents, grandparents, etc). This list highlights how and what it's like moving back in - the perks, and potentially the downfalls.

Consideration

When moving back home, there's a level of consideration that needs to happen. Whether it's on their part is out of the question because you're moving back home for a reason (such as crippling debt)

Feeling Lack Of Freedom

Moving back home isn't always a positive experience for everyone. On average, college students take 4-6 years to graduate (depending on their status as a student and what they're studying). That's 4-6 years that they may have lived on their own, whether in student housing, fraternity/sorority house or an apartment of their own. There was all of that time where they were making their own rules about their personal living situation, so it may feel like they're trapped when and if they go back.

Responsibility

Maybe you make dinner, or take the trash out. Maybe you're in charge of making sure your siblings get to school on time, or whatever it may be, the responsibility lies within the home. Everyone plays a part in living together, that means even if it's shared unfairly, you still need to pull your weight.

Rules

If the home is not your own, there will always be rules. Whether this is calling to inform someone you're not coming home, or perhaps making sure the cat, Fifi, doesn't eat the goldfish. It's not only being courteous to the people within the house but also recognizing that they may have different policies. No smoking, drinking, or whatever they may be. I know this can be a little difficult when the rules were solely your own prior to this, but remember that it's not always going to be this way. One day at a time.

Free Food

Do I need to expand on this? This is a college kids best friend (let's be real, we've all gone out of our way to find free food on campus), you know... saving money by not having to buy food.

Loneliness

Although the goal is graduation, moving back home can bring about loneliness. For commuters, the experience may have been/are different, but for those (in my experience) who lived on or near campus, living at home isn't always the best. What if you didn't grow up or go to High School where you live? What if your family moved while you were away? It's like starting over, and the only people you have are the family and your pets (assuming you have any). This, of course, is not to say that everyone feels this way.

Fewer Bills (for some)

Although moving home doesn't always mean that there are no bills (there's still the crippling debt, among other things), but for a decent chunk of us, we get to reduce the amount of bills we have. ESPECIALLY since we go back to our beds and don't have to pay to live somewhere else.

Suppressing Yourself (for some)

For the sake of sanity and life, I hope that you are in the bunch that can be 100% yourself all of the time. This includes allowing your potentially differing viewpoints on the world not change just because you've moved home, your identity both gender and sexuality (if you identify at all). Or perhaps there's an unspoken rule that you're not going to change their mind, and they're not going to change yours. It all depends on circumstance and home life. For the sake of you being yourself, I hope that you're not being suppressed.

Free Laundry (for some)

I know this one sounds a little odd, but what I mean is that some people have the privilege of being able to do laundry in their homes for free. If you're lucky enough to have one, this is a huge plus sign... in some cases, someone else may even do it for you!

Free Internet (for some)

There are those of us that our families thrive on the wireless internet to live; we are the ones that all get "free" internet. What's not to love about free wifi? It's like sitting in a McDonald's, but the McDonald's is your bed, and the password is for your Netflix account.