I'm Still Optimistic About the Lions' Future, Hear Me Out

Against all common sense, I still believe that Lions have a successful future ahead of them in the years to come.

119

The Detroit Lions have been a record-breakingly awful team for the majority of its history. The Lions are only one of four teams who have not only never won a Super Bowl, but haven't even BEEN to the Super Bowl. And it isn't like they have even come close to that - the Lions have never won a playoff game since 1992. With failure after failure of players and coaches, they can just never seem to get it right. The Lions were the first team to record the 0-16 winless season back in 2008. Even though history doesn't show up any hope, with a new coach, GM, and players, they might just have a chance to be above average instead of just average.

1. Matt Patricia 

Matt Patricia has worked alongside one of the greatest coaches of our generation, if not all time, in Bill Belichick. Belichick has led the Patriots to five Super Bowl victories and eight Super Bowl Appearances. The Lions need someone leading them who is familiar with a winning culture and strategy. While Patricia hasn't been excellent this season, he is still adjusting to being a head coach instead of a defensive coordinator, and he is still getting used to his players. I think his knowledge of how to win will serve the Lions well in the long run.

2. Bob Quinn

Bob Quinn is also an ex-Patriot that has been a great addition to our system as GM. Quinn has substantially upped our quality of players that we draft, getting us players like Kerryon Johnson and Kenny Golladay, who both have potential to be this team's future superstars. Also with Additions like Jarrad Davis, Frank Ragnow, Taylor Decker, and Graham Glasgow, Quinn understands the importance of the player who plays in the trenches as well. Quinn knows we have to win at the line of scrimmage, which is something this team has lacked.

3. Kerryon Johnson

Kerryon Johnson was the team's second-round pick out of Auburn in 2018. The Lions desperately needed help in the run game, given the fact they had not had a 100-yard rusher since 2013. Kerryon gifted us with 100 yards against the Patriots, which is an accomplishment that gives me hope that he could be the savior running back this team has been waiting for. After the failures of Abdullah, Leshoure, Best, and other recent running back draft pick that turned into busts, Kerryon looks like he has the potential to be the superstar we need in this position.

4. Kenny Golladay

Kenny Golladay has the unfortunate circumstance of coming to the team after Calvin Johnson was here. Megatron has raised the city's expectations for what a wide receiver should be. Since filling in the Hall of Famer's role, Golladay has had some very impressive catches that have shown us his superstar potential. He has the same ability as CJ to be able to make those crazy catches while being triple teamed and also being a great route runner.

5. Defense

Darius Slay has been the biggest superstar on the Lion's defense for the last few years. Slay had 8 interceptions in 2017 and went on to the Pro Bowl that year, as well as this year. Alongside Slay is Glover Quin, who is a also a veteran defensive back with Slay. The newcomers like Jarrad Davis, Devon Kennard, and Damon "Snacks" Harrison, have added more playmakers and depth into this defense. Looking ahead, the Lions will need some ore improvement on the defensive line, but as far as linebackers and defensive backs go, the Lions have pretty good talent.

6. The fans

The Detroit Lions fans have gone through hard time after hard time with this team. You can't even say ups and downs because there really hasn't been any ups. My family has had season to the Lions games for years, and we still continue to go year after year, just to get our hearts broken again. The Sunday tradition of being angry after losing can be turned into fuel to get your homework done, though. The Lions fans still show up the Ford Field every Sunday, just as enthused as ever, that this year could be the year of the Lions.