26.2 Life Lessons You’ll Learn Running A Marathon

It’s Not A Race – It’s A Way Of Life

368
Lizzie Shell

“Everything you ever wanted to know about yourself you can learn in 26.2 miles” - Lori Culnane

Spoiler alert: Running a marathon is hard. It’s painful and emotional. It makes you question why you signed up in the first place. Training is hard sometimes, especially being in college.

You have to sacrifice other hobbies and social events. Weekends consist of long runs and training - not parties and sleeping until noon. Waking up at 5am every morning is not always easy, but it's part of the process. I guess I’m in love with challenging myself. I’m in love with trying things I don’t think I can do, and then going out and doing them.

Marathon training is physically and mentally challenging, but it is truly an incredible experience. It teaches you so many things about yourself and the world around you. It changes your life. This past weekend, I ran a marathon along the coast of New England.

I battled freezing temperatures, flooded roads, and 25mph nor’easter winds. I cried, laughed, and smiled. I felt alive and finished with a time of 3:39:49. Here are 26(.2) things I have learned through training for and a running marathon.

1. Never give less than your best. Always show up.

Every single day, whether it be running, school, work, or life. Work hard always.

2. There is room for everyone across the finish line.

Encourage those around you. Lift others up, and it'll lift you up.

3. Keep your head up.

This doesn't just refer to proper running form.

4. Believe in yourself. The mind is powerful.

I think we can all benefit from doing more of this.

5. There are so many good people in the world.

From the race volunteers, to the spectators and other runners cheering you on, when you run a marathon you realize just how many good people are out there. It makes a difference.

6. Hit “the wall”. Get over the wall.

The dreaded "wall" hits every marathon around mile 20. You'll probably hit "walls" in life as well. Get over these walls.

7. Don’t take yourself too seriously.

Learn to laugh at yourself. Life is meant to be fun.

8. Never compare yourself to others.

Run your own race. Live your own life.

9. You get out of things what you put into them.

If you put in a 5, you'll get out 5. If you put in a 10, you'll get out a 10. Always put in a 10. Why give anything less than your best?

10. Celebrate success.

You're capable of doing some pretty amazing things. Take time to celebrate them.

11. Set goals, work hard, crush goals.

It's a process.

12. It takes a village. Nobody succeeds individually.

I would not be a successful runner if it weren't for my training friends, my support, and the wonderful running community.

13. Take one step at a time.

Literally. Figuratively.

14. Setbacks happen. Move on.

Keep moving forward.

15. Be different.

Do things most people would never dream of. It can be fun.

16. You cannot control everything that will happen. Accept it.

Weather? Sickness? Injury? Sometimes stuff happens that you can't control. All you can do is accept the facts and focus on things you can change.

17. Challenge yourself.

The comfort zone gets boring after awhile.

18. Sometimes you have to make sacrifices.

Saying no to invitations can be hard. The FOMO is real. However, you have to remember your goals and the steps required to get there.

19. Every day you have a chance to improve.

Neve skip out on this opportunity.

20. Embrace all obstacles thrown at you.

Life throws obstacles at you, and training throws obstacles at you. Rather than fight them, embrace them, learn from them, and get over them.

21. You’re allowed to be proud.

Don't hide pride. You've earned it.

22. Take care of yourself.

If you fail to take care of yourself while training for a 26.2 mile run, you will get hurt or burnout. Listen to your body. It knows what's best for you.

23. Learn from others.

It's truly amazing what you can learn from the the experiences of others. Never miss an opportunity to learn.

24. Shortcuts will never work.

There are no shortcuts in marathon training, and there are no shortcuts to success in life.

25. You are so much stronger than you think you are.

In every way possible.

26(.2). It’s not about the race. It’s about the journey.

Life is a marathon. Life is a journey. Treat it like one.

I’m already looking forward to training for my next marathon in May, and my first ultramarathon in June. Onward and upward.