Life Lessons In 2016

Life Lessons In 2016

2016 was the best and most transformative year of my life.

5
Life Lessons In 2016
Brian Gregory

I have used the last couple of weeks to reflect on the year 2016. It has been a hard year for many. There have been so many events, whether personal or societal, where we have been angry, sad, distraught, and more. People are looking at the landscape of the world wondering who will step up? Who will look to lead the world out of what seems to be hopeless situations all across the world? There doesn’t seem to be any and 2016 looks like the year where humanity goes down a never-ending drain.

Well, I hate to be the one celebrating on everyone’s sad parade, but 2016 was great for me. But it isn’t for what you think. It’s not because I got a great girlfriend, took two trips to Africa, got a new car, etc. No, it’s because 2016 was a major growth year. 2016 was the year where I started to put off boyish mentalities and became a man. Where I decided I am going to take responsibility for my life and my world. I learned so many lessons from 2016, but I want to boil it down to three important lessons I want to take into 2017 and the rest of my life.

1. Tragedy is only temporary.

At the beginning of the year, my grandmother passed away. It was sudden and unexpected and it left me searching for answers. But the more I began to think about her life, the more I realized that while I was extremely sad, I couldn’t dwell on my sadness. I had to continue and live a happy life. When I had to leave Africa over the summer after my mission trip, I honestly did not want to come back. Life was simple and beautiful and my purpose was full. Coming back, I felt empty and wondered where I was. However, I was quickly emboldened by the fact I could apply the service, leadership, and love I displayed on the trip here in America. When Donald Trump, won the election, I was stunned like many others around the world. I couldn’t believe that man could possibly win the election. But I realized moping about how I didn’t think he was fit for president wouldn’t change anything. I have to be joining in the fight, if not leading it, to make my world a better place. In each case, tragedy was only temporary.

2. Be still and enjoy life.

I had the great privilege to be able to go to Africa twice this past year. I went to Zambia and South Africa in the summer and Morocco this past November. I didn’t have my phone on the trip to Zambia and South Africa and in Morocco my phone access was extremely limited. While I was there I remembered how still I was. How much more willing I was to converse with people and much happier I was. I was able to enjoy everything around me so much more without my phone. People around me would tell me that I was on my phone too much and I was paying attention. In many cases, I have stopped being on my phone as much. I still have a long way to go. But my life doesn’t need to be filled with constant sensation of my phone. I got rid of Netflix this year, and I realized I had so much time on my hands. I realized that technology and the consistent running around is not necessary. I need to relax and be still. Be sensitive and attentive to the things going on around you.

3. Speak up and speak out.

This was the most important lesson of 2016 for me: learning to use my voice to speak out on things that I found wrong. I have been scared to share the gospel and I have been scared to share my political beliefs and how I think things are wrong. I didn’t want people to dislike me or disagree with me, so I was quiet. I realize now that the world is way too important and people are way too important to keep things to yourself. You can’t keep silent when things are going wrong. You can’t be afraid to speak out. Every opportunity you have while you are alive is a chance to impact the world, and you’re not going to accomplish that with silence.

These lessons aren’t a cliché thing to talk about to end 2016. It’s a chance to shape the rest of my life. Your affect starts with you making decisions that change your life first and then it turns impacting other people’s lives.