11 Timeless Life Lessons A Hockey Rink Can Teach You

You learn more at a rink than in school.

181
Flickr

The future teacher in me wants to write that going to school is the most important thing. The teacher in me also wants to say that by going to school you will learn so much in life to be successful. However, at hockey rinks it's a completely different story...here is what I learned.

1. A new language.

Yes, we all know hockey players curse a lot, but I am not talking about that. Hockey players have their own type of language for different things happening. For example, “tickling the twine” is used as saying “scoring a goal”.

2. Teamwork.

In hockey, if you don’t work as a team, then you will not win. Sure, in school you do group work, but not everyone helps. Everyone has to help the team to win the game and no one can be selfish.

3. Math.

Shocker, I know. There is math in hockey to figure out scoring average and other stats. Not only does hockey teach you calculations, but A LOT of geometry. To figure out the perfect angle to get the goal means you need to figure out how to bounce off the boards or get through a goalie’s 5-hole perfectly.

4. Character.

Hockey shows you how to be a good person because if you are a jerk to the ref, he won’t look out for you and help make calls for you.

5. Standing up for what’s right.

If you know someone is not being a fair player and is being a jerk, then you just beat the s*** out of him and move on. Okay maybe not the best way to handle a situation, but you learn to not take anyone’s crap.

6. How to protect yourself.

Yeah, you know how to fight so you can defend yourself. However, you also learn that the best defense is a good offense.

7. How to predict the future.

What I mean by this, is a quote by the great Wayne Gretzky: "I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been." So you learn to read people so that you are never blindsided.

8. To always smile.

Smiling is such a fun thing. After a great win, a big smile shows off your hard work. It also shows off your teeth or lack thereof. When your enemy wants to knock you down, smiling will drive them nuts!

9. Show respect.

Although you hate other teams/players, it is important to always show respect. If you disrespect the rink, then you will not be allowed to come back. If you don’t have a rink where would you learn life lessons?

10. Have faith.

A team can be down by a lot of goals about to lose a championship but can come back. Anything is possible in a hockey game, and a team can always rally back with a hat-trick to win the game if they just have faith.

11. That superstitions do work.

Every hockey player/hockey fan has their superstitions. Their superstitions help them have their faith. Everyone has different ones but they bond all fans and players together.

The real me hopes you learned that going to school is annoying. Yes, I do go to school and I learn a lot. When I spent time at the hockey rink though, I learn so much more than being stuck in a classroom.