Life Lessons From "Friday Night Lights"

Life Lessons From "Friday Night Lights"

ALWAYS be proud of where you come from.

You don’t have to be from Dillon, Texas to be proud of where you come from. You don’t even have to be from Texas for that matter. Your hometown will always be apart of you, and you will always be apart of it. Be proud of that, and represent it to the best of your ability. "Texas Forever."

It’s important to have dreams.

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with being a dreamer. Dream as big as you can. Dreams give us something to work, and strive for. For Jason Street it was being a national quad rugby player. Tiara wanted to go to college. Matt Saracen wanted to keep his position as QB1. Eric Taylor wanted to be a college football coach. Although all these characters have very different dreams, they all have one thing in common, they put it in hard work to make those dreams come true.

Success is something to be earned.

State Championships, college scholarships, job offers, etc. aren’t just given to you. You have to work hard. In the words of Eric Taylor, “Champions give 200%. You’re not champions until you’ve earned it.”

Never run away from a challenge.

After Jason Street got injured in the football game, I bet it would’ve been easy for Matt Saracen to run the other way when Coach Taylor turned to him and told him he was going in the game. Especially after having no real playing time. But Matt stepped up and took the challenge, and he excelled. After Jason was paralyzed I’m sure it would’ve been easy for him to lose all hope and just lay in bed all day. But Jason didn’t take the easy way out, he went to physical therapy and he took the time and the effort to get better. Step up to any challenge that you are faced with, no matter how hard, the reward at the end is more satisfying than you can every dream.

You are in control of your own destiny.

Take charge of your own life. Don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t do something, because you can. Be your own person, be the person you want to be. Whether is academics or athletics, the choices you make effect where your life is headed, so make the right choices.

Listen to your dad.

Your dad loves you more than you could possibly know. He wants the best for you. You might not see it, but he knows a lot more than you think he does. Really, listen to him.

P.S. I know this is weird, but he’s a guy, and since he’s a guy, he has all the inside information on guy stuff that us girls never even knew!

Oh, and your mom, too.

I shouldn’t have to even explain this one. Your mother is always right, whether you like it or not.

Don’t let anyone define you.

People will always be there to judge you, and that’s okay, let them judge. But never let those people’s judgements define who you are and what you’re worth. You are your own person, don’t let anyone else define you. Whether you’re “a cripple,” or an athlete, a druggie, a drunk, or a goody-two-shoes. Never let someone define you to be less than who are you.

But most importantly: Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.