Life: As Told By One Tree Hill

Life: As Told By One Tree Hill

These quotes dig deep.

207
Life: As Told By One Tree Hill
FanPop.com

"One Tree Hill" (or "OTH") is a show that everyone should have to watch before they enter high school. It teaches you crazy life lessons without you even knowing it. It’s like Mark Schwahn and Mike Herro are human quote books (they have a quote for literally everything). It's like they knew every teenager was going to need to hear these things in order to get through a break up, a fight with their bestie, a loss of a loved one, a rough patch or even the greatest moment of their life. Whatever the problem is, I'm sure "OTH" will know what to say to comfort you.

Here are some quotes from "OTH" that dig deep, make you think and maybe even make your arm hairs stand up a bit (while also making you love every single character more and more).

1. “Nobody can make you do anything you don’t really want to.” -Whitey Durham

Whitey is never really wrong, ever. Throughout everything in life, if you want to do something, do it. If you don't want to do something, no one else can really make you do it. Why's that? Because you are your own boss and you're the one that decides what's best for you and in turn, what can hurt you.

2. “You know the best thing about a paper jam? It forces you to open up the machine and figure out what went wrong in the first place.” -Julian Baker

Julian Baker is a very sentimental guy. He has it all figured out––besides leaving the baby in the car, but that's beside the point. You have to dig deep to find out what is really causing you pain. Open your heart and your mind (machine) and figure out what is causing the pain and suffering. After you figure that out, fix it and move on in life to achieve greatness, love and success.

3. “You have to heal your soul a little first." -Millicent Huxtable

Millie, Millie, Millie. In "OTH" Millie goes through a lot. She goes through the phase of wanting to fit in, she goes through fitting in and she falls to rock bottom. Eventually though, she climbs back up to the top with a little bit of soul searching. She makes you realize that no matter how low you feel or how hard you crash, in order to figure out who you really are, you have to heal your soul. You have to stay true to yourself, your beliefs and your values.

4. “Love is a wonderful thing, and it doesn’t knock much, so when it does, make sure to open the door.” -Brooke Davis

Brooke knows a lot about love––or lust, we should say. She fell hard for boys a handful of times and then realized what she needed was someone who loved her as much, if not more, than she loved them. The knock on her door was from Julian and she answered it. Brooke proves to us that even though things don't work out, there's always someone for everyone but be sure to answer the door every time it knocks. When you have that one person, never let them go.

5. “Sometimes people have to cry out all their tears to make room for a heart full of smiles.” -Jamie Scott

Okay. Jamie Scott is just like, the cutest kid ever. And when he speaks, your heart melts. When he stood under that tree and spoke these words, I sobbed. Think about it. You can't find happiness in sadness. If you clear out all of the tears and all of the sadness that fills your heart, you will find comfort and happiness. But, like Jamie says, it's okay to cry and let it all out, but don't forget to find peace at the end of the waterfall.

6. “Sometimes the hardest things are the most rewarding.” -Nathan Scott

Nathan Scott––what a babe. Nathan is the high school star who wants to go big. After being told he was going to the NBA, he got in a fight that was said to end his career. His dream was always to go to the pros and he wasn't stopping because he was in a wheelchair. Nathan did everything he could to achieve his dream. With hard work, dedication and a lot of motivation from his family and friends, his dream came true and everything felt that much better. If you work really hard for something that you want, it feels better knowing you didn't get it handed to you.

7. “In this moment, there are 6,470,818,671 people in the world. Some are running scared. Some are coming home. Some tell lies to make it through the day. Others are just not telling the truth. Some are evil men, at war with good. Some are good, struggling with evil. Six billion people in the world, six billion souls and sometimes, all you need is one.” -Peyton Sawyer

Peyton was always telling us people were going to leave. And then she left. But, even after she traveled to California to pursue her "dream job," she came back to Lucas. She came back to him because she knew that he was the one soul she needed. This quote explains to us that there are people out there who are evil, there are people out there who are good. But either way, don't go into the world scared. Go out there and experience these people and find the one who makes you the happiest.

8. “Most people are stronger than they know. They just forget to believe in it sometimes.” -Keith Scott

Keith was a good man to everyone. Keith was shot and killed by his brother, Dan, but even when Dan died, he was there greeting him at the gate. This quote is telling us to always believe in how strong we are on the inside. No matter what the situation, remember that you have the strength and power to control your actions, the outcome and your life. Stay strong through everything that you face.

9. “The rest of your life is being shaped right now, by the dreams you chase, the choices you make, and the person you decide to be.” -Haley James Scott

Haley, an English teacher at Tree Hill high, spoke to her English class about how they were shaping the rest of their lives every second of every day. Every decision, every move, everything was shaping their futures. Even if the smallest action feels like nothing, it's something. It's shaping your life, it's shaping how people will think of you when they hear your name or see your face and it is a permanent mark you will forever leave on the world. Make it all count.

10. “I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.” -Lucas Scott (but really, William Ernest Henley)

Lucas is a book worm, so it's not surprising that he quoted William Ernest Henley's poem, "Invictus." No one else but you controls your fate. You are the boss of yourself and you are the one who gets to decide where you are going in life. No one else. You get to be the captain and direct the ship of your life through any wave you choose.

11. “You need to learn to let go of whatever it is that makes you feel like you’re not good enough.” -Mouth

Mouth, someone who was made fun of on multiple occasions for being "ugly," realized that his looks wasn't all he had to offer to the world. Mouth realized that he had to let go of the negativity and focus on what he has to offer to his career, his education, his life and to the world. Mouth showed us that being a good person on the inside is good enough. Let go of that something (or someone) who is making you feel like you're not good enough and find love and confidence in yourself.

12. “I know one thing and that’s if you don’t ask for something, you can’t just expect for it to happen, you know?” -Skills

Skills is a hard worker. He started off playing basketball on the River Court and ended up being a starter on the high school varsity basketball team due to hard work. He knew that he wasn't going to get a college scholarship without working hard, he knew he wasn't going to get a job without applying, and he knew that he wasn't going to get a girlfriend by just sitting back. Skills taught us to always be assertive and to put our best foot forward in order to succeed.

13. “The pain in your heart, that voice in your head that tells you there’s no way out, it’s wrong. It gets better.” -Dan Scott

Dan Scott, a hard a** dad, a murderer and a guy that would die for his family, went through it all. He was in a dark place after killing his brother, but he found out that life gets better. The voices in your head that are telling you to give up because it's going to get worse, they go away. Things get better once you realize that there is more that life has to offer. If you are going through tough times in school with bullies, if you don't feel good enough, if you feel like you're never going to succeed, just remember that it gets better. Push through the darkness and look for the light. You got this!

14. “In your life you’re going to go to some great places and you’re going to do some wonderful things. But no matter where you go, or who you become, this place will always be with you.” -Karen

Karen always knows what to say. She traveled the world once she gave birth to Keith's kid. She traveled all over the place but always knew where her roots were. No matter where you go in life, you owe it to where you came from. No matter what. You could have come from the dumps or mansions, poor or rich, ugly or beautiful. No matter what, where you came from is why you are who you are. You owe it to your roots. When you leave home, whether it's for your first year of college, a job offer in a different state (or country), anything, always remember that home is home and that is where you can always go.

5. “Sometimes I think that we waste our words, we waste our moments and we don’t take the time to say the things that are in our hearts when we have the chance.” -Clay Evans

Clay Evans, knowing a lot about spur-of-the-moment incidents, spoke the straight-up truth when he said these words to Quinn. We take time for granted. People think, "Oh, I'm 20, I have so much time left to do _______ and say ______." But what people don't realize is that time doesn't wait for anyone. If you feel a certain way, express it. If you have something on your mind, say it. If you love someone, tell them.

16. “Live life for the moment because everything else is uncertain. Take advantage of what’s right in front of you.” -Rachel

Rachel wasn't known for much good, but these words are (shockingly) truthful. Take advantage of everything. Try something new, go on an adventure, take advantage of the things that are dancing under your nose because maybe it will be something great.

17. “Until you let someone in, you’ll always be alone.” -Chase Adams

Chase was one of a kind––cute, innocent, geeky. He knew that unless he let people in and showed them the real him, he would always be alone. This quote is telling us that no matter how you look on the outside, no matter how closed off you may be, if you don't let anyone in to know the real you (flaws and all), if you never let the wall down, there will never be someone who can get in and truly love you and you can never truly love anyone else, or yourself. Although opening up may feel vulnerable, do it. Let someone see the real you, let them learn to love you. And if they don't? Someone else will. But you will never know what will happen until you actually do it.

18. “It doesn’t matter how you plan it. It doesn’t matter how you envision it. Without even knowing it, sometimes life has a way of finding you with exactly what you need. Or exactly who you need.” -Quinn James

Quinn was the bomb. She was a tomboy but totally beautiful, a sports lover, a photographer, and a spontaneous chick. She didn't let any grass grow under her feet––that's for sure. She pictured her life with her first husband and thought that was what she wanted and needed and then she slowly realized that he wasn't the same and she needed something else. That's when she found Clay. She never pictured herself getting divorced and she never pictured herself adopting her boyfriend's child. She didn't see anything in her life happening, but it did. And it all did so fast. But it was what she needed and what she never knew she wanted. Life happens so fast. Quinn helped us realize that although people plan out their lives step by step and think that it's going to fall exactly that way, sometimes it never does. Sometimes it does the exact opposite, but that's okay. Because usually it falls into place on its own because it's what is best for you. Let things fall into place.

19. “Our lives are difficult and our loss unbearable sometimes. So grieve, and struggle, and find your way back on your own terms and in your own way.” -Victoria Davis

Victoria Davis isn't known for her kind words and gestures, but somehow Matt and Mike snuck in a couple of nice things here and there. Victoria, without us really caring, went through a lot of harsh things but she came out of them and held her head high without people really flinching at her "coping." Victoria explains to Haley that being sad is fine. She explains that life is hard and sometimes things happen without explanation, but that doesn't mean the rest of the world is going to stop. No matter what you're going through, hold your head high, cope with it however you please, and return to the world with a purpose.

20. “Do not look back and grieve over the past, for it is gone, and do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come. Live in the present and make it so beautiful that it will be worth remembering.” -"One Tree Hill"

This one speaks for itself.

This show and every character connects with all of the viewers differently. There are specific characters that people relate to and there are some that people started off hating and ending up loving (and vice-versa). This is a show about growing individually with friends and family by your side.

Through tears, laughs, good times and bad times, although you may lose and gain some people along the way, all that matters is that you become great and you become someone you had always hoped to be. Set your goals and dreams and push yourself until they are conquered. That’s what "OTH" is all about: believing in yourself with a little help from your friends.

And that's life as told by "One Tree Hill."