Letting Up During Lent

Letting Up During Lent

Are you sticking or slipping?

2
Letting Up During Lent
proyup

Lent is a time for Catholics to honor Jesus' ultimate sacrifice by giving up something important to them. It is also a time to prepare our mind, body, and soul for Easter. Prayer, completing acts of charity, and fasting are the three pillars of Lent. Application and practice of these pillars help one fulfill the true meaning of Lent. Although these practices do not seem impossible or even difficult, many struggle to make it through 40 days without something they have come to know and love.

Here are a few tell tale signs that you are Sticking or Slipping and what you are really thinking this Lent season.

1. Did you pick something to give up that low-key isn't hard to avoid at all? Some prime examples include: broccoli, homework, reading, carrots, or any other dislike you may have. It doesn't count and you know it.

2. Deciding what to give up can be hard. Pick something that you do or eat often. It is supposed to be hard to go without it!

3. Do you constantly think about the thing that you gave up? Are you close to caving? Don't panic! Congratulations for not Slipping yet. You got this. Stay strong.

4. Did you willfully ignore #3? If so, you have successfully slipped. Try again.

5. What you think when you accidentally eat meat on Friday

6. Do not let that annoying person who claims to be the "perfect" Christian make you feel bad about yourself! Follow your own path!

7. Forty days is not forever! This is supposed to be an enriching experience where you grow closer to Jesus! Focus on the religious aspects of Lent and what you are gaining opposed to focusing on what you are giving up! It will be worth it in the end.

8. All of your friends are eating and doing the thing you gave up right in front of you.

9. Going without something that you love becomes easier when you don't focus on it! Being without it becomes natural! You know that you are Sticking if and when you reach this point.

10. Be honest with yourself and God. Lent is supposed to be hard but the point is to do your best while honoring Jesus. Learn from the experience and apply these lessons into your life and into next years Lent season.