A Letter To A Second Semester Senior

A Letter To A Second Semester Senior

Slow down and enjoy it

128
A Letter To A Second Semester Senior
Erin McCarthy

Dear Second Semester Senior,

By now you are probably so over high school. You’ve started skipping classes, not doing your homework and “forgetting” your uniform at home. I know this because I was you only 365 days ago. If I had a dollar for every time I wished second-semester senior year would pass quicker, I think I’d be a millionaire. After applying and being accepted into college, it seemed as though our plans for the future were the only things anyone could focus on. At the time, I didn’t realize what an unhealthy obsession was developing so here are a few of my wishes for you:

Consciously make an effort to not talk about college with your friends.

College seems like it’s the most important thing, and every second needs to be occupied with talk of roommates, majors, orientation and graduation. Enjoy your time at lunch or in classes with your friends focused on the present.

Focus on maintaining relationships with the people that will matter during and after college.

You are going to miss your high school friends so much, so spend every second you can with them. Some of them have known you since you were in diapers. That type of bond is hard to come by, so cherish it and enjoy your few months left together.

Strive to leave a legacy.

Do something great with your classmates that future classes will never forget. Remember that time the class of 2016 did…?

Thank all the teachers that impacted your high school experience.

Reflect on your time in high school and the incredible personal transformation that took place between freshman and senior year. Take the time to spread thanks to those that impacted your journey and made you a better person.

Go to school dances, sporting events, and other activities.

Have fun! Get dressed up, hang out with your friends and show your school spirit.

I promise you, it all goes way too quickly so just enjoy your last few months at your high school before you and your classmates all go your separate ways. You will miss high school, so it’s essential to make the most of the time you have left!