A Letter to Myself: You were wrong.

A Letter to Myself: You were wrong.

Research shows that by the time you turn twenty one, you will have already met the person that you're going to spend the rest of your life with. For me, that is a crazy, mind-numbing thought. I remember being in high school, thinking that I couldn't wait to find "the one" because I couldn't imagine any of the boys I knew having a future, let alone having a future with me. Now that I've grown up a little, I realize that I was wrong. Just because someone wasn't right for me, doesn't mean that they aren't right for anyone. I've watched (from afar) so many of the boys I've graduated with turn into the most amazing individuals; full time jobs, professional networks, even becoming fathers who provide for their families. And to be honest, I couldn't be more proud of them. I am excited that they have come this far and are pushing themselves to be the best version of themselves. Fast forward a few years, and we're all getting old. Some of us are earning degrees, some of us are buying houses, some of us are starting families; the point is, life is happening. Life is a long road that I believe should not be spent alone, but I also believe that you shouldn't spend it with the wrong person. So as you get older, take a look around. You might find that you were wrong, too.

Let's start at the beginning- you were wrong about all of those boys in high school. You were wrong about them having a future and about them making something of themselves. You were wrong when you thought that you would be alone forever, and you were wrong about what you thought you wanted to do with the rest of your life. You were wrong about where you wanted to go to school, and who you thought you were supposed to be. You were wrong about every single one of your life predictions, and you were wrong about other people's expectations. You were wrong to think that you'd never feel a deeper connection with someone, and you were even more wrong when you imagined who it would be with. You were wrong when you told yourself that "high school is over, and so is this." You were wrong about him. You were wrong when you told yourself that he was unmotivated and you were wrong when you told yourself that you weren't good enough. You were wrong when you told yourself that it would never work out, and you were wrong about what you thought you were capable of. You were wrong when you told yourself that he didn't care about you, and you were wrong when you told yourself that you didn't care about him. You were wrong when you thought it was just the beginning of something, but you were also wrong when you thought it was the end. You were wrong and you know it.

Things are always changing. Times are changing, people are changing, life is changing. As we get older, we begin to realize that we can only allow certain people to be in our lives. They have to earn it, or else, what's the point? We get to make the decision of what is right for us, and how we live our lives. When faced with these questions, we can't let the past get in the way. Now is now, but we live for the future. It's time for you to start being right.