A Letter To My Parents

A Letter To My Parents

A letter to the parents who have done more than enough.

14
A Letter To My Parents

I didn't think this letter would take so long to write and I honestly don't know why I haven't yet. You two are the most supportive parents I could have ever hoped for, and it's about time I tell you both how much you mean to me.

Academic success

I owe a lot to you and, while I did the homework by myself, I wouldn't have done it, or turned it in, if it wasn't for you guys showing me what hard work can do. By showing me how hard you guys work it has made me want to do better so I don't have to work at a job that is as physically demanding as your guys' jobs. I admire the work you both do, not many people can do your jobs, but it has shown me that I need to work hard now so I don't have to later.

Getting a job

I may complain about working, but I love working and feeling accomplished that I can go, work hard, make money somewhere and have other people like me. It is rewarding and even though it isn't glamorous, I appreciate you making me apply and pay for my car. I have learned a lot about being a good worker from you guys and I think my bosses appreciate that. Even after two years of having the same job, I work just as hard if not harder than I did when I got hired and that is because you guys taught me how to continuously work hard.

Loving me anyway

This is something that is really cool to me still -- I am my own person with my own opinion and you both support it even when it isn't yours. We can have in-depth discussions because you won't get offended when I think you are wrong and I am learning how not to get offended when you say I am wrong (which is never, in case we were wondering). You also loved me when I made bad decisions, over and over again. I am sure I haven't made it easy on you guys, but I am not sorry, either. I made it hard because how else would our lives be interesting? Also it wasn't that hard if we are being completely honest, I could have been a lot worse.

Exposure

I enjoy the life experiences you guys share with me and I like that you don't shelter me from what you have done in the past. You talk to me like you trust me and that makes our bond more special than most. You have both made your fair share of mistakes, but it has shaped the wonderful parents you are today and I wouldn't trade you for anything.

Now, I have to take time to tell you both individually that you are appreciated and because ladies first is how it goes, Dad! Just kidding, Mom is up first.

Mom, Mother, Madre, Ma

You have been there since birth and have loved me since before that. You have been my friend when nobody else was; we were all the other had for two years and even though I don't remember that, it means a lot that you cared enough to do that for me. I may argue with you, but I don't know a mother-daughter combo that doesn't argue. I think we are both too stubborn to admit when we are wrong and that causes the problems, not the actual topic we are discussing. I know that you are losing your little girl soon and you are starting to realize that I am growing into a mature adult, or at least that's what I'm trying for. Please know that just because I am going to college doesn't mean that I will never come home -- it means that for some of the year I will have two bedrooms. Everything will be OK, just watch how great it will be for both of us.

Dad, Father, Padre, Daddy

You are a special person. You took me in when I didn't have a father figure and you have been the absolute best. I know that you have always loved me and have seen me as your own child, which is something I could never repay you for. We may have our differences, but you and Mom taught me to stand up for what I believe in. You have been there for everything -- to tell me I don't need a man; to tell me that girls are going to be mean and I have to deal with it; to fix whatever I break no matter how mad you might be that I broke it. I have always seen you as my dad, and you taught me one of the most valuable lessons: Blood doesn't make you family. I will never understand how you have given me unconditional love, but I am grateful you decided to love Mom and me. Mom may try and say I'm wrong, but you are the best thing that could have happened to us because you have taught us both so much.

Thank you both for being the best parents I could have ever asked for, you have done a great job and I am independent because of the love and guidance you have shown.

Love your little girl,

Ashton