The Thank You My Dad Deserves

The Thank You My Dad Deserves

While our moms are always the heroes, our dads deserve some credit, too.

1504867
The Thank You My Dad Deserves

Dear Dad,

You've gone a really long time without being thanked. I'm not talking about thanks for things like opening the Gatorade bottle I couldn't or checking my tires when my car's maintenance light is flashing, but rather the thanks I owe you for shaping me into the person I am today.

Thank you for teaching me what I deserve and for not letting me settle for anything less.

While the whole world was telling me I wasn't good enough, you were there to tell me I was. Whether this was with boys, a friend, or anything else, you always built my confidence to a place I couldn't build it to on my own. You showed me what my great qualities were and helped me feel unique. But most of all, you never let me settle for anything less than what I deserved, even when I wanted to. Without you, I wouldn't be nearly as ambitious, outgoing or strong.

Thank you for giving me someone to make proud.

It's hard to work hard when it's just for myself, but so easy when it's for you. All through school, nothing made me happier than getting a good grade back because I knew I got to come home and tell you. With everything I do, you give me a purpose.

SEE ALSO: 20 Things You Say When Calling Your Dad On The Phone

Thank you for showing me what selflessness looks like.

You are the prime example of what putting your family first looks like. If me wanting something means that you can't get what you want, you'll always sacrifice. From wearing the same T-shirts you've had since I was in elementary school so I could buy the new clothes I wanted, to not going out with your friends so you could come to my shows, you never made a decision without your family at the forefront of your mind. If there is one quality you have that I look up to you for the most, it's your ability to completely put your needs aside and focus entirely on the wants of others.

Thank you for being the voice in the back of my head that shows me wrong from right.

Even though many of your dad-isms like “always wear a seatbelt" easily get old, whenever I'm in a situation and can't decide if what I'm doing is right or wrong, I always can hear you in the back of my head pointing me in the right direction. While I may not boost your ego often enough by telling you you're always right, you are.

Thank you for being real with me when nobody else will.

Being your child hasn't always been full of happiness and encouragement, but that's what makes you such an integral part of my life. Rather than sugarcoating things and always telling me I was the perfect child, you called me out when I was wrong. But what separates you from other dads is that instead of just knocking me down, you helped me improve. You helped me figure out my faults and stood by me every step of the way as I worked to fix them.

Most of all, thank you for showing me what a great man looks like.

I know that marriage may seem very far down the road, but I just want you to know that whoever the guy I marry is, I know he'll be right because I have an amazing guy to compare him to. I know you're not perfect (nobody is), but you've raised me in a such a way that I couldn't imagine my kids being raised any differently. Finding a guy with your heart, drive, and generosity will be tough, but I know it will be worth it.

Dad, you're more than just my parent, but my best friend. You're there for me like nobody else is and I couldn't imagine being where I am now without you.

Love you forever,

Your little girl