An Open Letter To My Mom

An Open Letter To My Mom

For All Of Your Wonderfulness.
43322

Dear Mom,

Hi. I'm not really sure where to start this letter, because I have so much to say. I think it's always difficult as a child to express a lot of things to their mother, especially if it's just thanking you for being you.

Thank you for being there for me whenever I needed you. Thank you for never asking questions while I cried and instead just hugging me. Thanks for the rubbing my back all the times I was sick. Thanks for always making me laugh. Thanks for staying up late just to make sure I got home from work okay. Thanks for being at every volleyball game, voice recital, and school play. Thank you for supporting me in everything I do. Thanks for making the first part of my life one of warmth, love and comfort.

Thank you for always being my mother- an example of strength, compassion, love, faith, honesty, sacrifice and a million other things. Thank you for never being my best friend. I'm thankful that you correct me when I'm wrong, push me to be a better version of myself and challenge me to try harder, to be an upstanding citizen and a woman of strength. I appreciate your willingness to be a mom and not try to be the "hip mom." I know I never said it, but I am thankful for every time you acted as my mother and not my friend, because I know those moments have truly impacted my growth.

The truth is Mom, I could write an entire novel of things to thank you for. You have sacrificed more than I thought humanly possible, for the happiness of your children. You are the true definition of an amazing mother and I am so blessed to have you in my life.

I know raising me wasn't easy (I'm sure you wanted to pull your hair out more often than not). But I want you to know nothing that you did for me went unnoticed. You are one of the people I am most thankful for in my life.

I love your hugs after a long, long day of flying home from school. I love how you attempt to hide from pictures. I love how you always answer my calls, no matter what time of day it is. I love how your intuition is always right, whether it takes a few days or months to reveal to me. I love when you say "text me when you get there" even though I roll my eyes, it shows how much you really do care. I love our late night chats, baking in our pajamas, and watching Harry Potter marathons every single time they're on (as much as I tease you about it).

I'm sorry for all the times we fought- I know now it was just wasted moments. I'm sorry for all the times I pushed you away- because I knew you were trying to help. I'm sorry for all the times I didn't have enough time to talk to you- because I know you've always made time for me.

I want you to know that you are the most important person in my life. You will always be there, you've made that clear. I want to make you proud. I hope I make you proud. You have given me not only life, but a life to be happy living. You raised four beautiful and intelligent children. You are a warrior; my idol of strength and resilience. You have pushed and challenged me to dream big and never let anyone or anything stop me. I would not be half the woman I am today if it weren't for you.

I want you to know that our relationship may change. That doesn't mean in a bad way. There will be new milestones and chapters of my life that I cannot wait to share with you. We will both grow with wisdom and age (and trust me I can't wait to chat over a glass of wine with you). I am excited to see what the future holds for both of us. But as I grow older, I'm becoming more and more aware of the fact that one day, hopefully, I will be a mother too. My only hope is that I can be as amazing as you.

Love always.