A Letter To My High School Senior Friends

I believe in you guys.
220

To my fellow senior friends,

It's that time of the year where all you want to do is to just graduate already so you can pack up your room and send yourself off to college. Well, actually you've felt this way ever since you became a senior really.

It's also that time of the year where you just want to drop everything and have a couple mental breakdowns because you've been overwhelming yourselves from filling out the never ending college applications and frying your brains out from studying all those nights for your ACTs, SATs, and your unavoidable midterms.

Then you have those doubtful thoughts if you're ever even going to make it to college in the first place, dream school or not. And eventually, you start to wonder what your life is going to be like if you're living in the streets because all of those endless tears and nights you've spent in high school trying to get decent grades was for nothing.

Trust me, I've been there, done that.

But also trust me when I tell you this. You're going to get your acceptance letters in your mailbox, you're going to graduate, and you're going to be okay. I know it may not seem like it for now since you're friends probably have gotten early acceptance letters and you're wondering where yours are, but trust me, it's going to come soon.

You're probably feeling really stressed as well from your family and relatives asking you about college 24/7. "Where are you going to college?" or "What are you majoring in?", etc.

But let me tell you something that I wish someone would've told me. It's OKAY to not know where you want to go to college and it's even more okay to not know what you want to major in.

I just finished up my fall semester about two weeks ago and I've seen a lot of my friends switching schools and majors and there's nothing wrong with that. I, myself had doubts if FIU is the school for me and sometimes I still wonder that. I, along with the majority of all my friends, switched majors as well. Because at the end of the day, this is your education and future career and only you should be decide what that's going to be.

You see, no one tells you these things because society has raised us to pick our potential career and alma mater at the ages of 17 to 18. How are we suppose to know what we want at such a young age? I mean, even us college students are still trying to figure out what we want in life just like everybody else in life.

But friendly reminder, you're only one semester away from being finished with high school and it'll be the best high school semester you'll ever have. Acceptance letters, grad bash, super easy finals (thank you senior teachers), and graduation. Stop worrying too much about college and enjoy the limited amount of time you have left of high school.

I believe in you guys and can't wait to see you graduate,

Rhiannon