A Letter To My 'Babies'

A Letter To My 'Babies'

I want you to know being your aunt was one of Liz's favorite things.

3
A Letter To My 'Babies'
Becca Catoe

To My “Babies” (aka my niece and nephews),

Sweet kiddos, first I want you to know that your Aunt Becca loves all three of you oh so much, and as AJ would say, “I love you from your toes to God’s head…cause God is everywhere so nothin’ is bigger than that.”

I want you guys to know something very important. I want you to know that your Aunt Liz loved you very much, she loved her “Little Man”, her “Mini Me” and her “Little Buddy” more than almost anything else in this world. Being your aunt was one of her favorite things! You 3 were the topic of many of our conversations and we oftentimes would send each other pictures of you, or talk about your new antics or milestones that you had reached, or we would call each other when we had one of the “babies” with us simply so we could share your joy with each other.

Oh how I wish she was able to see all of the new things you guys are learning; to laugh at Aaden chasing the puppies, or to squeal over his new fall outfits, or to proudly talk about how AJ and Jalese are going to be the smartest and cutest kids at their new preschool.

I hate that your little hearts have to hurt as you grapple with death at such a tender age (you’re only 4, 3 and 1yr but I know you get it). When you point to my tattoo and say “Those birdies are for remembering Aunt Liz”, or when you look up at me with your big brown eyes and say, “I sad…I just miss Aunt Liz.” When you waddle around the house and point to a picture and say “liz?” Or when you tell me, “Aunt Liz can’t come right? cause she in heaven forever forever.” Each time my heart breaks a little more.

I know I will never be able to replace your Aunt Liz, and I never ever want to try to. But I want to make you all a promise. I promise that I will always remind you just how much your aunt Liz loves you. I promise that I will keep telling you stories of her and all the silly things she would do. I promise that we can always look at pictures of her, talk about our memories with her, and even cuddle with her dirty blankie. I promise I will sneak you guys extra candy, sweets and junk food, and spray whip cream in your mouth when nobody is looking (because that’s what Aunt Liz would always do), but shhhh don’t tell your mommies. I promise I will never let you forget her. I promise to give you extra hugs and extra love. I promise to play sports with you outside and help you learn how to dribble a basketball. I promise to send you extra Birthday notes and love. I promise to teach you the “hail to the redskins” song and run around the house and high five you when our sports teams score. I promise to teach you about all of the things that she loved—especially Jesus, because she would want nothing more than her babies to love Jesus just like she did. And I promise to give you cuddles and hugs when you say, “just miss Aunt Liz”

AJ, Jalese and Aaden, being your aunt is literally one of my favorite things in the world and I am so excited to watch you guys continue to grow and learn and explore and I will always help you to keep a piece of your precious Aunt Liz with you wherever you go. You sweet kiddos are pretty special and your Aunt Becca (aka “Aunt Ecca / Aunt B”) Loves you more than you know!

Love,

Aunt Becca

P.S. Your Aunt Liz loves you oh so very much! <3