An Open Letter To High School Freshman

An Open Letter To High School Freshman

Advice From an Upperclassman
1185

Congratulations! You have just finished the most awkward and probably the worst phase in your life called middle school. Personally for me, the middle school years were awkward, annoying and not the most fun thing in the world. The experiences I had during middle school made me really look forward to becoming a freshman in high school, but also very terrified at the same time. If you as an incoming freshman were anything like me, then I hope the following information is helpful and useful to you as you begin high school within the next week or so (I know, WHERE HAS SUMMER GONE)

1. People (including yourself) will change.

Last year upon my entrance into high school, an upperclassman had shared this one piece of advice with me. Looking back now a year later this is the one piece of advice I wish I had actually listened to and remembered throughout my freshman year. Change (in good ways and bad ways) is bound to happen. I personally went into high school with a relationship (which I DO NOT recommend doing) and this upperclassman told me we as people are both going to change and therefore probably break up. This was the last thing I wanted to hear at that time so I blew it off. I later found out that that upperclassman was right. I also lost a TON of "friends" this year due to different classes, different activities and just change in general from the both of us. Expect, accept, and don't deny any changes that may come your way. I promise you they will shape you into the individual that you are meant to become.

2. Dating is not everything.

Having a boyfriend your freshman year I PROMISE is not the end of the world and its not important. Looking back on my freshman year I wish I would've focused on myself and had fun with my friends instead of worrying about a dumb boy and relationship. And also as "fresh meat", DO NOT get involved with seniors. Majority of the time they're only trying to use you for things 14-15 year old girls should not be used for. Just don't fall for it and use your brain.

3. But if you do meet a special someone..don't be afraid.

Although dating is not everything, if you do find a special someone don't be afraid to maybe go to a movie or go to the homecoming dance with him or her. You're in high school now and dating is totally normal so have fun with it! Flirt and be yourself!

4. FOCUS

No matter what your grades turned out to be during middle school, high school gives everyone a clean slate to start over fresh and new. My main piece of advice for you is to focus on your school work and really try your best your freshman year. Getting a high GPA as a freshman sets you up for success for the rest of high school and your future outside of high school. If you really slack off your freshman year, you're going to have a hard time the next 3 years trying to bring you're overall GPA up. That might not sound important now, but do your school work and get good grades. Trust me.

5. Get involved.

I cannot stress enough how important being involved in your school and community is during high school. Being in clubs and other activities can expose you to different people and possibly more future friends. Being involved and participating in school activities makes high school so much more fun and enjoyable. Also volunteering your time and giving back to the community not only will make you feel happy, but volunteer work is also a good thing to have while later applying to colleges.

6. Lastly, HAVE FUN

Please please enjoy these last four years you have with the people in your school. Later on in life, you're going to want to look back on your high school days and say you had fun and not that all you did was sit back in your room watching other people from your school having fun. I promise these four years are going to fly by so fast they will be over before you know it. Live each of these years with no regrets and remember to reflect and learn things about yourself along the way.

I wish you the best high school experience you could possibly have.

Sincerely,

An upperclassman