An Open Letter To My Grandpa

An Open Letter To My Grandpa

Thank you for holding my hand through life.

731
An Open Letter To My Grandpa
Unsplash

Dear Grandpa,

First and foremost, thank you. Thank you for all the wisdom you've shared with me and for continuing to enlighten me even when I was overtly uninterested. I always listened, but I must admit, there were times at which I “okayed you to death” because what you were telling me simply seemed irrelevant.

The truth is, I should have been more appreciative. Since my college career commenced, I’ve come to realize that nothing you said was “irrelevant.”

You taught me to read when I was only three, dropped off books at the house more often than I ever wanted, started giving me a stack of vocabulary words to learn each week when I was fourteen, offered to help me edit every essay, homework assignment or email and called after every test, curious about my grade.

You rave about me over lunch after every golf game, to every client, every family member and every friend, making me out to be the most incredible, capable human in the world. You support me in everything I do, but above all else, you taught me most of what I know about life. Thank you.

“Freedom is having the ability to choose.”

As a young teenager entering 9th grade, I never thought about college. It seemed so far away, like nothing I did then would impact my life in any way. Little did I know, every test, every quiz, every homework… it all counted. You began telling me that “freedom is having the ability to choose, and if I didn’t start working harder, I wouldn’t be picking my future college, but rather my future college would be picking me.”

Let me explain… every 11th grader applies to anywhere from two to fifteen plus schools. Slowly, the decisions start rolling in, and again, every 12th grader gets accepted at anywhere from one or two to fourteen or fifteen schools.

The student who worked hard, succeeded and got accepted to the latter has more of an ability to choose his/her path than the student who has no option but to go to the single school who accepted him/her. Don't get me wrong, college is a positive time, full of growth and independence. No matter where you go, you’ll find yourself and be so happy.

Grandpa, thank you for pushing me from the beginning to work as hard as I could for one goal: having freedom. All of my hard work paid off, but I never would have realized the importance of looking into the future and understanding what “freedom” means if it weren't for you. Whether it’s in regards to college, a job or relationships, freedom is having the ability to choose. Work hard so you’re able to keep your options open.

“They say ‘work hard play hard’, but in order to play hard, you have to be working a little harder.”

Let’s go back to high school… I can’t even begin to tell you how many times my phone rang as I was getting ready to go out with my friends. If I wasn't in too much of a rush (usually I was because who really knows how to be on time these days), I’d answer, tell you I was getting ready and offer to call back in the morning.

Your response was always the same: “before you hang up, is your work for the weekend done?” I’d roll my eyes and reply, “yes grandpa. It’s done. I love you! I’ll call tomorrow!” My work for the weekend was really supposed to be done before I went out Friday night? Absolutely not. Sundays were for homework, duh!

Fast forward to college. Going out before my work is done is simply a thing of the past. At a school like Michigan, there are people going out four out of seven nights a week. But this is by no means an obligation. Midterm tomorrow? Maybe going out tonight just isn’t smart. I bet one of your best friends has a huge assignment to do, and she’s staying in as well.

Grandpa, thank you for teaching me how much more important acing that test is than going out that one night with my friends. You have proven to me, through your own success and work ethic, that being the one kid to stay in is okay, and that I’ll be rewarded for it later.

Be secure enough to skip one night. Put your phone away, don't watch the thirty identical Snapchat stories of jumping and screaming boys when that one song you all love comes on. Also, how comfy do sweatpants sound? Focus on your work. Do well in school. College isn't all about the parties. You’ll be glad you stayed in later.

“Family is FOREVER.”

As many times as you've said this to me, the impact has come from your actions. You’ve proven that your love for me is unconditional, and you are forever my strongest support system and best friend. You've taught me how crucial it is to call you and grandma everyday, to spend as much time with my family as I possibly can and always remember that family is everything, no matter what.

Sometimes in life things that are here today and gone tomorrow seem like the biggest deal in the moment, and so many people, including myself, get caught up in them. Being at college has taught me that nothing is more important than my family; no one supports me like they do, and I would never be where I am without them.

I can’t help but call you and grandma, mommy and daddy and my sisters everyday. Whether it’s good, bad or indifferent news, you're the first people I tell. Thank you for teaching me the importance of remembering where I come from, that I represent my family in everything I do, and for providing me a safe haven and eternal love. I love you forever more.

If you're so fortunate as to have your grandpa with you, call him and tell him how much you love him. He’ll appreciate it more than you know, and I promise it'll make you feel good too.