To All My Independent Girl Bosses, This One Is For You

Put you hair up, drink some coffee, and handle it.

64
Unsplash

How many of us can say that we pay for everything we own? For those of you who thought “me," doesn’t it feel awesome? I love that I pay for my sorority, phone, credit card, and many more things. It’s not easy most of the time, but it sure is a great feeling. I am happy that I haven’t had to ask for help financially, and I am finally doing good with myself financially.

Most people hate that they work; I may not like working all the time or waking up to go to work, but working feels so rewarding because you did something for the day. You can cross that off your list of things to do.

I grew up where my mom always told me that I should never have a man buy my things for me and that not everyone is going to be there when I need them.

Through the years, I have learned to lean on myself for help. It doesn’t work all the time, but for a good chunk of the things I go through daily, I do. My mentality since I was younger was that “I want to be able to buy my own things,” and “I want to support myself financially.”

I have been working towards that since I was 15 years old. I’ve always had a job, bank account, and my own money. Something about working all the time and having stuff to pay for makes you feel like you’re on top of the world.

Even on the days where I feel like I want to stay in bed all day, or if I'm sick and feel gross, I force myself to get up, get dressed, and get out. It isn’t very easy, but it feels better to get things done, rather than staying in bed.

I feel like most women can agree with me on that. It feels so much better to just get it done and out of the way.

Even sometimes, I must listen to Kesha’s song “Woman” to remind myself that every woman should be her own boss. She should be a girl boss. It takes time for everyone to get on their own feet and begin to work for them and make things happen, but that’s perfectly OK.

To all my beautiful women, you are strong, you are independent, you are perfectly imperfect, and you got this. Work for you and no one else (unless you have kids). Get out and make that money to pay your bills. No one else is going to pay them for you.