A Letter To Those Wanting To Give Up On College

As Dory would say, "Just keep swimming."

9602

Dear struggling college students,

Being in college is extremely hard but it is also a huge accomplishment. Whether you are getting good grades or not, you still made it that far and I applaud you. Although college seemed like so much fun when we were in high school, it turned out to be much more challenging for some of us. It is frustrating, stressful, and overall just very difficult.

College isn’t for everyone and I know that. It is a time when you find yourself constantly reminding yourself that it is what it is and what happens is meant to happen, but sometimes that is hard. I can attest to that. I can remember think back a few times and saying to myself that I wasn’t sure college was for me.

Classes are difficult and studying is nearly impossible on some nights and sometimes who you thought were friends turned out to just be strangers. I can remember nights when I would study for countless hours before an exam but then I got the test back and I didn’t get the grade I hoped to get or had studied for. College is in no way easy, but we need to remind ourselves of somethings while in it.

College is meant to truly prepare us for the real world. It is here to strengthen our education in the field we want to go into, and it helps us achieve our dreams. College is where you find a lot of your lifelong friends. You also need to remember that some “friends” will just use you and tear you down, and that is something you don’t need in college. College is a time to get rid of all the negativity in your life and start to build your future self.

Yes, you will have professors and classes that make you want to cry and give up, but you need to push past them. Don’t let one class or teacher put you down from achieving what YOU want to do. If it makes you break down, that just makes you stronger. Sometimes you just need to break down and let everything out and clear your mind, and that’s okay.

Bad grades don’t define you. You are much more than that. You are a strong person who has accomplished so much in their life and you are about to accomplish so much more. Just remember that you always have supporters. Whether it is your family, friends, or an old high school teacher. It doesn’t matter they all want to same from you and they all support you. They don’t care if you get one bad grade or make one bad decision. As long as you can fix and as long as you are happy then will support you. All they want is for you to be something that you love, and if someone doesn’t support you, then you don’t need them in your life.

Please don’t give up on college. Push through it and just try your best. It will honestly get better you just have to wait for the sun to shine through your grey. One last thing, just remember what you are doing this for. You want to better your education and eventually get that dream job, but in order to do that you need college and you need to have a few bad days. If something goes wrong that is okay, because you always have tomorrow to change it.

Sincerely,

A current struggling student