A Letter To My Oldest, Dearest Friend

A Letter To My Oldest, Dearest Friend

If not for you, I wouldn't be me.

301
A Letter To My Oldest, Dearest Friend
Sarah Bollinger

If your mom hadn't come to my mom's garage sale, we wouldn't be where we are today. We wouldn't have had hundreds of sleepovers. We would've never pulled all-nighters watching Nick-at-Nite in my basement, talking and laughing until sunrise. I would've never gotten to watch you walk in that fashion show in East Peoria when we were around ten years old. We wouldn't have gotten to watch fireworks every year on your beautiful momma's birthday. We would've never snuck out and driven around the country all night while listening to Luke Bryan and contemplating taking that fallen down street sign that ended up being way heavier than it looked. We wouldn't have our thousands of memories that make up who we are today. We wouldn't be us.

As a third grader, I remember sitting on my couch next to a younger, complete stranger. I specifically asked you if you had a best friend and you replied with a yes. I only really experienced close friends as a child, but I never had a real, extremely close best friend where her family and home would become like my own. Even though I didn't know you and we were so very young, I wanted to be your best friend more than anything in the world. And I remember spending months trying to be just that for you. But with time came the realization that it wouldn't have mattered how much l tried to make our friendship happen - it was always meant to be.

You became one of my favorite people in this world. You've always accepted me for who I am and made me feel like I'm worth a million bucks. You know all my secrets and I can talk to you about anything. You've seen me at my best and my worst, and still, you stay right there. You witnessed me driving on the opposite side of the road on a five lane roadway. You're literally a piece of me and if a piece was missing, I wouldn't be whole.

I'm so proud of what you've accomplished and who you've become, both in the career field and out in the world. It's so hard to believe that we've known each other for fifteen years, but it's true. Not many people get to say that. You've become my other half and someone that I know I can go to about anything, no matter the time or distance. You've always been there for me and I will always be there for you, period.

I knew that your friendship would make a difference in my life, but I never took into thought the idea of your family becoming my family until it all just happened on its own. If there was anything I needed growing up in my life, it was people to love and support my family by just being there during our hardships; and your family did just that.

Your mom is one of the kindest, most loving and fun people I have ever met and I love her more than words could ever say. She's always been a momma to me and I could never repay her for all that she's done in my life. She's such a blessing to everyone around her. I'm so grateful that she's been a part of all of the big moments in my life. She's the absolute best.

Your sister is pretty much my sister and I love her so, so much. I remember watching her ice skate like it was yesterday. I remember the first few times I was at your house and I would try to pick her up every time because she was just that tiny and cute. She's still adorable but I can't believe that she's in college. Watching her and my brother grow up being the same ages was a magical thing because we literally got to witness them change and become extraordinary adults. I don't like the idea of calling them adults, but that's just how long we've been a part of each other's lives.

Your dad is great. He's witnessed me say and do some hilariously dumb things, but that just made everything about our relationship even better. I've watched him build your house for years and I just have no words to describe his commitment and loyalty to providing your family the perfect roof over your heads. What an amazing human being and father.

Every time I'm in the laundry aisle, I'm trying to figure out which detergent smell is the closest to the way you and your house smells because it's the absolute best. Every time I'm back home, I look forward to getting to come and see your house because it just brings back a thousand more memories each time. Every day I think about you guys and wish that I could be there to make more memories. I'm so thankful for you and every single person in your family. Always know that what's mine is yours and you will never, ever be replaced. You're my person and will always be my person. I love you so much, best friend.