A Letter To My Little Sister's Boyfriend

422

To My Baby Sister’s High School Boyfriend,

Let me tell you something. You really hit the jackpot with my sister. I’m not just saying that as her older sister, either. She and I have had our ups and downs, but that’s normal with any pair of sisters. I’ve had the honor of being Forbes’ older sister for almost sixteen years now, and as wonderful as that is, sometimes it’s hard. Forbes brings a ray of sunshine everywhere she goes and radiates her positive energy onto everyone. Sometimes it’s hard to be known as Forbes’ older sister instead of her being Mattis’ younger sister. She was the athlete I never was. She had the quarterback boyfriend that I never had. (That’s you.) I wouldn’t trade her in for anything, and you shouldn’t either. You should realize just how lucky you got when she gave you her whole heart.

Not because of her appearance. Not because of her long, thick, straight blonde hair that is perfect for a waterfall braid. Not because of her sun-kissed skin that darkens as soon as she steps out into the sun.

Not because of her style. Not because of the way she can rock a workout outfit and Birkenstocks in the morning but look incredible in a dress and wedges that same very night. Not because she pulls off converse shoes, crop tops, jean shorts, or any other fashion trend.

Not because of her athleticism. Not because she is a superstar on the lacrosse AND field hockey field. Not because she is motivated in the gym, in the pool, or on running trails and her figure reflects that.

Not because she can dance. Or sing. Or ski. Or make good grades. Or take cool photos. Or because she gets invited to all of the upperclassmen parties.

You hit the jackpot with my little sister’s heart. You should love every single little thing about her, but her heart is what you should fall in love with if you haven’t already.

You should love how compassionate she is. How she orders 13 chicken minis on your thirteenth month anniversary. How she goes out of her way and comfort zone to make you feel special and wanted.

You should appreciate how attentive she is to your wants and needs when nobody else can see them. How she will sit there with you and patiently listen to you as you realize that opening up isn’t a bad thing and how it might actually help you.

You should realize how amazing she is as your number one fan. How she wants to be in the bleachers cheering you on every second she’s not playing her own games. How she travels to support you at your tournaments and gives up her own weekends off. How she stayed to watch you and your team win the state championship immediately after her own team lost in overtime.

You scored big time when you won the girl who loves God, her family, you, and herself. She has respect for others, but just as important, she has respect for herself. She has goals, ambitions, drive, and a heart so big she doesn’t know what to do with it half the time. You won the girl who will sit with kids that get bullied just so they have someone to share a meal with. More than her beauty on the outside, is her beauty on the inside. Fall in love with that, her inner beauty, every single day because that’s what really matters, and that’s rare to find at such a young age. I’m a lucky sister, and you’re a lucky boyfriend.