A Letter to the Grandma Who Passed Too Quickly

I Will Make You Proud

18

A Letter to the Grandmother Who Passed Too Soon

19 years is a long time to have someone you love constantly by your side, but all that aside when they go it still feels as though it was all too quickly. You feel as though you didn’t get enough time, and that so many things were left unsaid. Here are all the things I wish I could’ve said.

Omi,

There are so many things that I could say about you, and none of them would do you any justice. You were the most incredible human being, ever. I will never be able to fully put into words how much you meant to me, but I could go on for the rest of my life trying. From day one, you have been one of the few people that has been there for me, morning to night, every day of my life, from the second that I was born. You were never absent, although many times I was.

Thank you for unconditionally loving me, no matter what I did. You fawned over my slightest of accomplishments and made me feel like a superhero, even on my worst days. Even when you knew that I was making a mistake, you never left my side. Your love was so pure, with no reservations, and was unlike any other love in the world. Thank you for spoiling me in every single way, even when I least deserved it. You have showered me in everything I could have ever wanted or needed. This includes not only materialistic things, but also the things that really count, like food and hugs. But in addition to all this, you also spoiled me with your wisdom, which is the best thing I could have ever received. You taught me so many lessons about life, and faith, and who I am and want to be and I’m forever grateful for that. Thank you for supplying me with an endless amount of laughter and memories. You’ve helped make me into the person that I am today and the person who has yet to grow. I genuinely have no idea where I would be without you. I promise that I’ll make you proud. I’ll make sure to teach my children all the German nursery rhymes you sang to me, and to tell them the story of the goose under the Christmas tree, and all the many stories that are forever engraved into my mind. Things will be different for a long time without you here, but I know you’re happy and you’re walking on your own and praising Jesus among the angels. I know you will always be with me. I would give absolutely ANYTHING to able to give you one more hug, but for now I’ll give them to my parents, my aunts, and my cousins.

I love you and I miss you already,

Your 4th oldest grandchild