An Open Letter To My Grandmother In Heaven

You're gone but never, ever forgotten.

15251
Nonni and Me

My Dearest Nonni,

You're home with God now, and that in itself is quite beautiful. I am happy you are no longer sick, and that you are at peace. Losing you broke my heart, and I still can not comprehend the fact that you are gone. I have a lot of comfort and joy knowing that we will meet again someday. I am proud beyond words to be your granddaughter. You taught me to love and forgive and be strong. Your faith in God is something that is truly an inspiration. I like to think that the day our Heavenly Father called you home, you cooked for him. You probably made him a delicious gravy with macaroni and meatballs, and I'm sure it is the best food he has ever had.

I am going to miss the times we shared, especially our special day every year. The day before Thanksgiving was a day we spent, just the two of us, cooking, laughing, and telling each other how much we loved each other. You never failed to make sure I knew how much you loved me. And I know that you were well aware that I loved you more than words could ever say. You taught me many life lessons, and whenever I needed advice on anything from cooking to boys, you were the one I knew that I could count on for getting an honest opinion. I am going to miss you calling me all the time to check up on me and always telling me to "watch out".

You were a mother and grandmother before anything else, and you always put our family first. In reality, you were the glue that kept us together. A grandmother is a blessing, and I was blessed to have had you in my life for almost nineteen years. I only wish that I could have had you for a little longer. My heart hurts when I think about how you are really gone. It does not seem real. Time will give me more comfort but I will never let your memory die. I will always remember all the sleepovers we had when I was little and how I would always wake up to you coming in and checking on me. You and I had such a special unique bond that even Heaven can not break.

I remember you and I laughing over the silliest things. I remember the last time I saw you well on Christmas Eve. You and I had some special alone time to talk and I told you about school and you were so happy for me. We told funny stories and you held my hand. I would give anything to hold your hand once more.

When you got sick, I stayed by your side every day, and you knew I was there. I remember you calling me by my name when you could barely talk and telling me you love me for the last time. I remember myself telling you how much I love you and how proud I am of you. I am still so proud of your strength, love and faith. You were one of a kind and such a blessing. You are the best grandmother I could have ever asked for and I can not wait until the day we meet again. I know now that you are no longer sick and you are at peace. That gives me peace. I feel you with me. I know that you are now my guardian angel and you will never leave my side. I miss you, Non. I will hold you in my heart forever and ever. Thank you for being you.

I love you, Nonni.

With all my heart,

Your "Blessed Mother" Mariana. XOXO