A Thank You To Freshman Year

A Thank You To Freshman Year

"So, how was freshman year?"
2

College is such a confusing, yet an excitingly poignant time to explore and realize what you want to do eventually in your life. You go in thinking to yourself, “I am literally 18 years old and being thrown into a university with thousands of strangers, how am I going to adjust to this dramatic change?” Well, for me, these were my thoughts on coming to college last fall. Now, exiting my freshman year, I’m devastated it’s all over so quickly. Freshman year taught me so many things, maybe too many things, to be exact. It brought me a family of sorority sisters, whom have become some of my best friends, a great education, a beautiful campus that has so many opportunities and most importantly, a place that I call my second home.

A year ago, I never thought I would call the great state of Alabama “home.” I think back to all the times I would look up at the cloudless, vibrant blue sky while walking through the quad, and say “how the heck is this Alabama?!” Being originally from the north, it is looked upon as pretty uncommon to go to the deep south for college, but I decided to give it chance considering I hate everything about the cold, winter, snow, and ice up in Connecticut where I spent my last 18 years.

The first week of school were a bundle of nerves and fear. I was in a new place, and like any other blind little freshman, it is an unsettling feeling walking into your first class not knowing what to expect. I remember walking into my giant 300 person lecture classes and running around the quad trying to not be late, meanwhile searching for my classes in buildings that all looked the same. Eventually, I got the hang of it down to a science in which I repeated every to every other day. People won’t tell you how hard college actually is. The biggest thing I have learned is that time management is the key to success and every single point offered in your classes matter, because it’s so easy to fail. There are so many distractions at college ranging from partying, to just being plain lazy and not wanting to get up for class because it’s up to you, and there is no one that’s going to stop from doing what you feel like doing. I have met people whose papers or assignments have been turned away and given a zero for being just five minutes overdue. Developing into someone who had absolutely no time management skills, to becoming 100 percent more conscious on getting my work done, it has definitely benefitted me in my school work this year.

I have learned most southern schools are dominated by Greek life. Joining a sorority or fraternity is a great way to get involved with people you’ll most likely be spending most of your years at college with. I am honestly so thankful for everything my sorority has given me over the past school year. Anyone could admit that it was definitely scary walking into the sorority house during the first few weeks of school, intimidated by the older girls and not really having many friends. As the year progressed, I found girls who shared similar interests as me and who are all around great people that I am proud to call my best friends and sisters. From sisterhood events, game days, to homecoming, Greek Week, and many more good times, I can’t wait to see what the fall brings us. The only disadvantage of meeting friends who live thousands of miles away from you, the separation anxiety is real. After going from spending every lunch, dinner, and hanging out every single day, it’s a hard transition not being able to see the same people you spent every day of freshman year with, and I miss you all so much this summer.

Freshman year was sure a whirlwind of meeting the best people, while facing some of the hardest classes that required a great deal of dedication. Believe me, I won’t forget the nights spent at the library chugging coffee and Redbull all night while studying for tests. Throughout the triumphs and fails, it’s only freshman year. Some will say freshman year is a time to experiment and find yourself, and I found that advice to be true. Grades do not determine who someone is. Freshman year is the perfect time to mess up and realize, the mistakes you made can be turned around in the next few years, so don’t worry. At the end of the day, I am beyond grateful to have the chance to take on the experience at The University of Alabama. I commend everything the university has given to me and has taught me thus far in order to make the next three years even better. So thanks freshman year, you'll be missed.