Lessons to Learn from "How the Grinch Stole Christmas"

The Grinch isn't just unhappy with Christmas.

51

The Grinch has been in our hearts every Christmas season for quite some time. He isn't cute, or nice, or anything for that matter. He's just the Grinch, and for so long we have laughed at him and his Christmas ache. But if we look deeper into the movie, we can actually learn a few things from this character.

The Grinch's behavior is comparable to those who have mental health issues. For example, he was bullied as a child for his looks. This took a toll on the Grinch, caused him to lash out, and in turn despise Christmas. This one factor triggered a lifetime of anger and unhappiness from the Grinch. Any small child who has endured this amount of bullying or hardship is bound to have issues as an adult.

He only has one companion- his dog- who he barely even likes. The Grinch spends his time wallowing in self-pity and staying locked in his cave. This resembles someone with depression. People who are depressed experience the same type of loneliness. They don't want to leave their house or see anyone or do anything.

He overthinks. The Grinch could have a touch of anxiety as well. When Cindy Lou Who invited the Grinch to the Holiday Cheermeister, the Grinch was super apprehensive to go. He tried on many different outfits and overthought the entire situation completely. People with anxiety tend to do the same thing. Every situation becomes life or death because its thought out more than it should be.

Know the signs of someone with mental illness and don't think of them as less because of it. If we are aware, we can help. The Grinch didn't have anyone until Cindy Lou Who reached out her heart to him.