No, Lena Dunham. Abortion is Not a Rite of Passage.
Politics

Are you hearing the words coming out of your mouth?

136
New York Magazine

There may only be a week left in 2016, but it's definitely not too late to make one of the most outrageous comments of the year.

Girls star and self-proclaimed "feminist icon" Lena Dunham drew some serious backlash this week for joking about wanting an abortion on her podcast, Women of the Hour. Dunham told a story about visiting a Planned Parenthood clinic in Texas, and in telling her story, she mentioned though she's never been pregnant, she had a revelation about the stigma surrounding abortion and said: "I can say that I still haven’t had an abortion, but I wish I had.”

Lena, are you hearing the words coming out of your mouth? Are they making you happy? If so, then I will sit here and be depressed for you.

I don't know where I personally stand on the topic of abortion, and I don't think I'll ever have a clear stance for sure, but it's not something I take lightly, and you sure as heck don't have to be an ardent pro-lifer to find her remarks utterly disgusting.

Dunham did offer a verbose apology on Instagram, but this is also someone who wrote a blithe, lighthearted tale about fingering her little sister in her sleep. I cannot find it in my heart to accept an apology from someone that disturbed.

Lena, abortion is not a rite of passage. It's not a fashion statement. It's not something to cross off a bucket list.

I know women who have had abortions, and I can assure you NOT ONE OF THEM just whimsically decided "I don't want to be pregnant anymore because it's cramping my style." The decision to get an abortion is an agonizing one that is made with tremendous weight, and causes the mother, child and everyone else in her life a world of pain. Is that heartbreak something you really wish for? Do you really wish to be faced with the unimaginable scenario of having to end your pregnancy because it could kill you?

In flippantly wishing she could get an abortion, she has insulted countless women who had to end their pregnancies to save their own lives. She has insulted countless women who want a child more than anything but can't conceive. She has insulted women who are still trying. She has insulted virtually anyone that isn't crazy.

To an extent, I understand where she's coming from. I'm sure she means she wishes she could relate to these women better so she could understand their pain, but the way she said it would be similar to saying "I've never been raped, but I wish I had" or "I've never lost my family member to cancer, but I wish I had." These are all horrible, life-altering situations that I would never wish on anyone, and that anyone could even joke about experiencing something that splits your life into a before-and-after story is nauseating.

So no, Lena. You shouldn't wish to get an abortion. You don't ever want to get an abortion. No sane woman ever does, but then again, you're not a sane woman.

You know, having to work with a woman like Lena Dunham for six seasons of Girls? I completely understand why Adam Driver surrendered himself to the dark side of The Force.