The Phrase 'Daddy Issues' Deserves To Be Left In 2018

Do we ever stop and think who that phrase really is affecting?

162
Image by Keelco23 on Pixabay

From the Demi Lovato single, "Daddy Issues", to the overuse of the slang phrase by most 20-something olds, "daddy issues" is a phrase on the rise that's meaning has gotten lost in translation. Frat boys seem to love a girl with "daddy issues" because of its known connection in today's world to sex.

The idea is thrown around, more often than necessary, that a girl with "daddy issues" is easier to get in bed. You don't need to be a feminist or an activist of any sort for this to be so infuriating. A woman who admits to having daddy issues is a woman who has a trauma associated with the father figure in her life. As a woman with these "so-called" daddy issues, I speak for all when I say: JUST STOP!

My loss of my father does not mean I deserve to be labeled by my peers. No one deserves to be labeled anything by their peers. It certainly does not mean I deserve a label that implies that because of my past I'll be easy to get in bed. When did our society start punishing young women for suffering a loss or abandonment by their father? Each time "daddy issues" is thrown around just shows how little our society has developed. It shows how little we actually stop and think about how our words are affecting those around us.

We live in a world where it's easy to hide behind a screen and exercise our First Amendment rights a little too freely. We emerge ourselves into the wonderful world wide web where we can hide behind our social media screen names. This is why a little too often we forget that all words have meaning.

Not only do all words have a clear meaning, but words also hold different meanings to different people. For some, "daddy issues" is just another slang term that provides humor in their group chat on the weekends. For others, like me, hearing the phrase "daddy issues" reminds me of the father I don't have in my life anymore. It reminds me that I will forever be without my father. It reminds me that not only is my father gone, but that I am forever changed because of his passing.

Not only is it harsh to hear people connect your own sorrows (the loss or absence of a father) to being easy in bed, but it paves the way for the idea that I'm not ever going to be "normal". That because of my personal loss of my father I am broken- I have problems. This is not the case. I am not broken. I do not have issues. I have experienced loss and tragedy and for that, I am changed.

In today's world, we far too often speak before we think. This isn't the only phrase leaving our mouths that is funny to some and tragic to others. It is important to remember that everybody we pass and come in contact with has a story. Everyone has a past. Everyone has their own baggage.

You don't know that what could be funny to you could be quite painful for others. Our generation is the future. We are the change. Is one joke really worth the hurt it inflicts on others?