Learning To Be Imperfect

Learning To Be Imperfect

Perfectionism runs in my blood, but being imperfect does not make me any less.

15
Learning To Be Imperfect
Bùi Linh Ngân

Ever since I was a little kid, I wanted to be perfect. I wanted to be the best dancer in my class, the best goalie in soccer, the best painter in art class, the best best friend. It drove me to be a perfectionist. The first time that I realized that I was a perfectionist was in an eight grade science class. I couldn't get one of our projects just right when my teacher told me what I was doing was fine and to "stop being such a perfectionist." I can hear her say those words to me even now. Back then, I thought being a perfectionist was bad, and sometimes I still do.

Once I got into high school, I learned to appreciate this aspect of my personality. I was always getting my homework done on time and to my best ability, never taking the easy way out or just doing things half way. In one class I had to make a nursery in a shoe box; I made mine complete with wood floors and matching wooden furniture. I struggled some as well. I would pour my time, heart, and soul, into projects to do the best job I possibly could and sometimes it still wouldn't be good enough. I would even take on more than I wanted to just so that I could make sure all the jobs were done correctly and perfectly. This put me in a loop of disappointment when I got a "bad" grade (anything not an A was unacceptable) or when someone went and redid a job I'd done (moving a decoration for a dance, or adding another coat of paint on the poster). I slowly began to slip, thinking I wasn't good enough.

Then came college, where I dove into doing anything and everything I could; I rarely had downtime. I noticed that good grades weren't as easy to come by, and that I couldn't be superwoman and do everything. I wasn't allowed to be in charge of groups as a freshman, that I had to sit back and let others take control. In the back of my mind I knew they were more than qualified, but even still, I believed I was still able to be the best person for the job. I'm not sure if anyone else had caught on to this perfectionism in me. I began to realize that being a perfectionist had its good and bad qualities, and sometimes I needed to subdue that part of me.

All of that was going great until this year. This year I decided to go to school full time as well as hold a job off campus. Now I know people do that and more all the time, but this is where my trouble started. This was my first "big-girl" job and hell if I wasn't going to be great at it. It took a little bit to get the hang of the job, but I picked it up quickly. All was going great with school and work until one off week. I had been stressed with school work and my performance at work was a little off. I guess that had been wearing on me and I was told that I was causing some tension with another co-worker. I was shook to the core. This was not in my plan of being great. I was also informed that sometimes I worry about others' performances more than my own. Well of course I did, I wanted everything to be perfect! That is where I actually fully realized, I wasn't perfect, and I could never be.

From there on out, I had to learn and recognize that sometimes I was inadequate, imperfect. I can't be superwoman, I can't do it all, and I definitely can't be in charge all the time. I can't always control things around me, and that is okay. I am taking it one day at a time, and learning to be imperfect.