The Meaning Behind Enid High School's May Fete

"In keeping with the traditions of May Fete."

2154
Mary L. DeGuzman

"In keeping with the traditions of May Fete..."

The famous words of Mrs. Bush when she starts off May Fete each spring- When you're from Enid, Oklahoma and attended Enid High School, you will definitely be familiar with May Fete.

But what happens if you're not from Enid, or even nearby to learn about this tradition?

Well, have no fear. I am here to tell you everything you need to know about this old tradition that my high school has taken upon for each senior class.

May Fete started as an old English tradition. It's like a right of passage, a walk into a new beginning and a celebration of completing a milestone in someone's life. Growing up in Enid, it didn't occur to me how symbolic this tradition was until I noticed it first hand when my older brother mentioned it and I didn't realize how significant it was in someone's high school days when I was actually on the court back in 2011, when I was a senior in high school.

At first glance, May Fete can look like a wedding. There is a court, which is comparable to the bridesmaid and groomsmen. Then there is the Queen and her Herald, which can be comparable to the bride and groom. These people are chosen among the senior class to be representatives of the senior class. The court and the Queen and Herald are dressed extravagantly based on what the Queen decides- much like how a bride plans and prepares for what her bridesmaids and how she will look like on the special day.

There are a lot of preparation that comes along with this long-standing tradition. If I recall right, the voting for the people on the court doesn't start until early February. This is when also the sophomore and junior women are also invited to partake in the festivities, which they also started preparing for the special day during this month as well. What the sophomore and junior girls do is that they are responsible for wrapping the may poles, which they decorate this with colorful ribbon. This even dates back to the old English days, in which this was founded upon.

This occasion happens in May, when spring is in bloom, and when it's the last few weeks of another senior class ready to graduate for its graduates to go off into their respectable plans after high school. It can be seen as a festival as well as all the bright colors and decorations are intertwined with one another against the brightness of the flowers and grass all around and by the sun and blue skies as well.

When the actual ceremony begins, there are two teachers, whom I have grown fond of, which are Mrs. McIntosh and Mrs. Bush. They are the MC for the event and always start off the ceremony with how many years May Fete has occurred and what its roots derived from. Next the senior class walks along the park. (Disclaimer: I should have mentioned it's always is at Government Springs Park in our hometown.) Following, the senior class is the senior court and Queen and Herald. After the senior class is seated and the court is seated, students from the choir classes sing. Then the Queen and Herald exchange a kiss and following that are the sophomore and junior girls who finish the event by wrapping the may pole.

This event that occurs in May is symbolic and traditionally used to celebrate the coming of spring and the completion of another senior class. Many generations of people who have come and gone through the halls of Enid High, remember this event well, and if you're in touch with someone who can give more insight on this, I would advise you to talk more about it with them! I'm sure there are stories of all sorts that can be told from this day!