Lainya Thomas: UT Martin Homecoming Queen Nominee

I would be a great candidate for Homecoming Queen because I would have the opportunity to represent the African American students on campus and in the community.

17
Laiyna Thomas

Lainya Thomas is representing the National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC). The council is a collaborative organization of nine historically African American, international Greek lettered fraternities and sororities. She was born and raised in Jackson, Tenn. and is the daughter of George Martin and Mattie Thomas. "I chose UT Martin because it was close to home. I really wanted to be near my parents who are both retired," Lainya stated.

Lainya is very active outside of her studies. While attending UT Martin she has become a member of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority Inc. Lainya has volunteered for the Relay for Life Foundation and is actively involved with community service with the Teen Center and the Martin Housing Authority Enrichment Academy after school program. She works for St. John Community Services here in Martin. Lainya is a senior Biology major here at UT Martin and plans to graduate this December.

Before attending UT Martin Lainya knew where she wanted to earn her degree. "I saw a flyer at my high school and I instantly knew it was right for me!" she claimed. "I love UT Martin because of the small town atmosphere. It's a very safe community and I am extremely comfortable here."

While attending UT Martin Lainya has become close to students and professors here on the campus. "I've built bonds with many of my professors, especially the faculty members in the Biology Department. I love that the campus has a great diversity of students here," she stated.

"I would be a great candidate for Homecoming Queen because I would have the opportunity to represent the African American students on campus and in the community," she said, "I am an avid leader on campus and overall a great student. I would love to have the chance to represent such a great school such as the University of Tennessee at Martin."

Homecoming Queen elections will be held here at UT Martin on Wednesday, October 5th, 2016. The top five voters will be announced as the 2016 Homecoming Court. At the Pyramid contest on Friday night the Homecoming Court will be introduced at 7 p.m. During halftime at the Homecoming football game on Saturday, the 2016 Homecoming Queen will be crowned.