Kudos To You, Colin Kaepernick

Kudos To You, Colin Kaepernick

His “color” is not represented in that flag. This is ironic because, if you have ever taken any art class, you would know that all colors can combine to make black.

3
Kudos To You, Colin Kaepernick
LA Times

As many of you sports fan know, the San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kapernick silently refrained in standing during the national anthem this past Sunday. He caused ruckus in the hearts of almost every die-hard American when he went against this infamous tradition in the National Football League. The quarterback later explained why he did not stand; “I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color.” Since his statement, other athletes have followed him and refrained from supporting a country that they think does not treat them equally. Those players include Arian Foster, Russel Okung, Adrian Clayborn, and many more. Matter of fact, Kaepernick’s support goes further than athletes and has been heard ricocheting among the white walls of the oval office. President Obama exclaimed that there was nothing wrong with Kaepernick’s actions, and better yet it should create more discussion amongst the younger population. Kaepernick has only been practicing these rituals for a couple of weeks, but it already seems as though he’s acquired a following. However, it is ironic that most all of his followers are African-American. Or is that how it’s been in the last decades?

After years of sonorous protests from the Black Lives Matter movement and other organizations promoting equality, one would think that this peaceful protest would be a nice change in the lineup. However, it seems as though the popular consensus—the majority being compiled of non-black football players and viewers—is that Kaepernick’s actions are sinful. Drew Brees even got in in the mix and made a point of saying that Kaepernick’s protest was “disrespectful” and that the American flag is “sacred.” The difference in opinion has gone in waves between football junkies nationwide.

It is in fact true that there is something about the American flag that is sacred. This is the flag to represent freedom, which is why so many were against Kaepernick saying that it means oppression. However, judging from Kaepernick’s viewpoint, his “color” is not represented in that flag. This is ironic because, if you have ever taken any art class, you would know that all colors can combine to make black. If you take into account the last couple of years, then Kaepernick is right in saying that black people have been oppressed in this country and by some of this country’s officials.