Knowing Your Senioritis Needs to End

Knowing Your Senioritis Needs to End

Pushing Through Your Senior Year to Embrace Our Last Few Months.

9
Knowing Your Senioritis Needs to End
The Odyssey

It is true what we are told by our parents, grandparents, teachers, and any elder we know. High school really does fly by. I remember three years ago being a nervous 14-year-old walking through the hallways of my new high school, nervous about what each and every person had thought about me that even glanced my way. Would they judge me for the way I walked or the way I dressed or the things I laughed at? The truth is, they may have laughed at all of those things about me or anyone but as I reminisce on my freshman year, I have learned that I do not care. High school was a pivotal moment for me in my life to begin to decide who I was in life and what my role was here. I have come to learn that the only opinion that matters is my own and anyone's I specifically ask for. Others are irrelevant to me and serve zero purpose in my already busy mind. I do not waste my time on things that do not matter specifically to me.

As I sit here in my High School Creative Writing class suffering through a bad case of the Senioritis, mixed with grades 9-12, I cannot help but feel nostalgic. I eavesdrop on the underclassmen's conversations and do not laugh at them in my head for I, too, experienced what they did. I worried intensely about my grades, which person I wanted to hang out with for the weekend, what I wanted to do my essays on. I know it, I went through it and they will sculpt through maturity as I did and most of my Senior class has or will. They will learn to not sweat the irrelevant, small stuff. For so long, I had the mindset that I wanted to graduate early. My Senioritis kicked in the day I started my junior year(although, I did not take a lunch that year, so that may have been a large attribute to my stress) but I knew that it was vital for me to kick it into overdrive and to not give up. Colleges look through our transcripts and see our Senioritis senior year and this convinces them that we are not in it to win it, that we are not fighters.

By my senior year, I have already lost the majority of my friends I had acquired through the years and that is okay with me. This is toward the end and soon we will all branch off from one another, forgetting who our best friends were Sophomore year or whose house we slept over at that one forgotten Homecoming. Although this is the case, senior year is our time to live it up. It's our year and our last year is what finalizes our impression of high school. We will remember what we went through every single year and how we grew as a person. For if even our time throughout high school was awful, we know there are things that we acquired that are deemed useful for later on in life. Something as simple as a study skill can go a long way and in turn will help us even after our college years.

When we experience Senioritis, it's necessary to get over the disease. We must push through that boring, dull day in AP Economics, we must push through those fights we have with our friends, we must remember this is our last shot at being children because after this, it's time to be an official adult.