It's Okay To Not Know What You're Doing

It's Okay To Not Know What You're Doing

At the end of the day, none of us really know what we're doing anyway.

4
It's Okay To Not Know What You're Doing
Unsplash

From the time we start grade school, we're asked by family members and teachers what we want to be when we grow up.

When we begin middle school we're asked again, with our families expecting a better answer than "princess" or "superhero."

Of course, when we start high school the questioning starts getting way more intense and much more frequent. It seems everybody you speak to wants to know if you're going to college, where you're going to college, what you're going to study, and so on. Basically, what are you doing with your life?

In college, I'm sorry to say for my younger Odyssey readers, that questioning doesn't go away. Everybody still wants to know what you're doing with your life, and most of us still don't have the slightest idea. We just eat our ramen, count our blessings, and hope we actually wake up for our 8 A.M. class this time. Although it seems like even if you don't go to college, people still expect you to have your life planned out to the fullest. However, whether you're 15 or 50, it's okay to have no idea what you are doing.

I recently just started my freshman year in college, and I realized for at least the last two years of my life, all I've been doing is planning. I've been planning what college to go to and how to actually survive in college or planning out what courses to take for a major that I haven't even declared yet. I think we all get so caught up in the planning of our life that we forget to actually live it. Being somebody who struggles with stress and anxiety, I can tell you right now that constantly worrying about what you're doing with your life and planning out every detail will cause you more harm than good. That's not to say that you shouldn't think anything through, but don't obsess and stress out over it all the time. Everything will play out as it's meant to and everything will be okay (as cliche as that sounded, I promise you it's true).

Remember that not everything needs to be planned out to the minute or decided right away, and although it's important to give your future some thought, it's also important to be an active part of your present. Enjoy how young you are at this moment and count all of the things you have to look forward to. At the end of the day, none of us really know what we're doing anyway.