You Are Worth More Than What You Think And Don't Let Anyone Tell You Differently

Don't let someone else determine your worth.

40

As girls we have the tendency to put our worth into other peoples hands. Everyone does this, but I have found that girls are more likely to do this. When I say girls I mean from the ages of middle school to college. Sometimes we start letting people tell us how much we are worth before these ages and continue after these ages as well.

For myself personally I have always put my worth into someone else's hands. I am very bad at letting people control how I feel about myself.

One thing I want to point out is that you don't ever need to let a boy determine your worth. A boy can never tell you how much you are worth. By boy I mean a boyfriend. As girls we think we need a boy attached to us in order for us to be something or someone. This is by no means the truth.

When I was a little girl I used to play princess and I was a princess and my grandfather always played the prince that rescued me. As I have gotten older I have let that little girl who played princess turn into a girl that thinks she actually needs someone.

Recently I have discovered I don't need saving and I don't need someone to determine my worth. However, I need to remember that little girl that loved princesses and princes. I need to remember her because princesses can teach us that we are worth more than what a boy says, but we need to find the one that will rescue us from anything.

Another person I used to place my worth in was my father. Don't get me wrong I love my daddy and think he's the best in the world, but I have always let what he says or think determine what I think or how I feel about myself. This is toxic.

As little girls most of us think our dad is ten foot tall and bullet proof. While I thought that I also longed for him to tell me he was proud of me. While he would tell me how proud of me he was. I always pushed myself in school and the first time that I made a B was not until college and I fell apart because I felt as if he wasn't proud of me.

That is the day that I stopped letting him determine my worth because in my heart I knew I had worked as hard as could and just came up short.

Another set of hands that we place our worth is in the mirror. While the mirror doesn't have physical hands or eyes we still let it tell us how much we are worth. We think the mirror is telling us our worth but really it is what we see that tells us.

There are only two people that can tell us our worth. Those two people are ourselves and God.

With ourselves we need to stop being so hard on ourselves and realize there are failures in life but we will bounce back. Realize that what we see in the mirror we can change. Realize that we control our lives and no one else gets a say about how great we actually are.

God can tell us because he made us. One of my favorite bible verses is Proverbs 3:15 and it reads, " She is more precious than rubies..." and this is so true. Right there God is telling us how much we are worth. Another verse reads we are fearfully and wonderfully made. We are made in his image and therefore no BOY can tell us how much we are worth.

All of the points I have made have been made to make this final point. Next time you look in the mirror love the image that is back at you. You are worth so much and always remember that.