Knicks Off To A Surprising Hot Start

Knicks Off To A Surprising Hot Start

A young draft pick making all the difference in New York.

14
Knicks Off To A Surprising Hot Start
cdn-images

Following the New York Knicks' horrific 2014-2015 campaign, they made what seemed to be one of the most questionable draft choices in recent seasons. Kristaps Porzingis, the 20-year-old Latvian superstar was taken in the first round with the 4th overall pick by the Knicks and things started to look like they were going from bad to worse. However, the Knicks have started the 2015-2016 season much differently than most people assumed. With the over/under line on New York Knick wins this season being a whopping 27, they are definitely on pace to overachieve that number. Earning their 8th win against a struggling Houston Rockets team last Saturday on November 21, Porzingis shined once again. Porzingis finished with 24 points and 14 rebounds earning his 6th double-double of the season.

The team seems as if they have been re-energized by the superb play by the young star that was booed by New York fans on his draft day. The majority of Knick fans are biting their tongues now (myself included) as they have watched the star perform well in the league so far this season. Porzingis is averaging 13 points and almost 9 rebounds a game for the Knicks just 14 games into the season, with the Knicks sitting at a record of 8 wins and 6 losses.

Comparing this season to last season, it seems as if there are two entirely different teams playing on the court. Throughout the 14 games last season, the Knicks had only won 4 games in that starting stretch, including a stint in which they lost 11 straight. The New York Knicks last season were arguably the worst team in the NBA, maybe without even much argument. Winning a mere 17 games, compared to 65 losses in which was the worst season in New York Knicks basketball history.

When the Knicks went out to get legendary coach and player Phil Jackson, it seemed as though things were going to get back on track. This was the not case, as they just continued to lose, Carmelo Anthony was shut down for the season with a knee injury after the all-star break and that was it, season over before it could even begin.

But this season has been a very different one; it has been able to give Knick fans some hope. Things are clicking in New York again and the team is looking good in Derek Fisher’s second season as the head honcho of the team. Porzingis will look to continue his success as well as the rest of this Knicks lineup will look to do the same. The Knicks will continue the rest of their road trip this week and try to finish up strong before heading back home, and keep this winning tradition alive.