How to Help Your Kids Deal with a Sports Injury

Find out how to assist your kids through their sports-related injuries so that they can bounce back and get back in the game.

40

As a parent, you want your children to play sports. It gives them a way to stay physically active, helps them in understanding how to work on a team, and provides a sense of belonging. There may be some of you out there however that are a tad bit nervous about letting your kids get in on the action because of the potential for injury. It's a realistic concern with youth sports injuries statistics stating that more than 3.5 million children under the age of 14 suffer from sports-related injuries each year.

When kids get hurt, they are likely going to have to sit out for some period of time to allow themselves to heal. As their primary caregiver, it's up to you to figure out how to help them deal with whatever has happened to them in the most effective way. Find out how to assist your kids through their sports-related injuries so that they can bounce back and get back in the game.

Treating the Most Common Youth Sports Injuries

It doesn't matter how hard you try and prepare your children for the intensity of the sport they play, there's always a risk for injury. The most important thing to remember is if your child is in pain and they tell you or a coach about it, they should be pulled out immediately. Letting them play through the injury is only increasing the potential for things to get much worse.

For more severe kid injuries from competitive sports like joint dislocations, swelling that doesn't go away, fractures that are obvious, or a pain that is chronic in nature, you have to take them to the doctor for a professional evaluation; a professional doctor like a chiropractor can help with your child's sports injuries, and you shouldn't worry about how much does a chiropractor cost because they normally are affordable—so a chiropractor would definitely be a good choice.

Sports injuries in childhood and adolescence that happen most frequently are sprains and strains. These can often be dealt with at home or even on the field if you can't get away. Medical experts suggest that you start with the RICE treatment first:

• Rest: for at least 48 hours, do not use the body part that has been injured
  • Ice: apply a cold pack or ice to the area for 20 minutes at a time at least four and up to eight times a day
  • Compression: ankles, wrists, and knees can be wrapped or splinted to keep the swelling down
  • Elevation: decrease swelling by keeping in the injured body part above the level of the heart

When this doesn't seem to improve the sprain or strain after a little while, you have to go see a doctor to be sure there isn't something bigger going on than what you see on the surface.

Emotional Support for Kids Getting Injured Playing Sports

Along with the physical pain a child feels after getting injured playing sports, he or she might be dealing with emotional issues as well. After participating for a while, their physical activity becomes a way for them to outlet any stresses in their lives. They also feel passionate about being in the game.

Having to sit out can be extremely frustrating, confusing, and depressing. It's up to parents and other adults to support them during this time so that they can focus on getting better instead of what they are missing out on. If you think your athlete is having problems mentally with an injury, follow these ideas to assist them:

• Find another activity for them to do while they wait to get cleared to go back to their sport.
  • Talk with them about how they are feeling.
  • Have them talk to someone else that has dealt with an injury.
  • Allow them to continue to go to practices and games so that they can support their team.

Prevention of Sports Injuries in Children is the Best Treatment

You want to do whatever you can to prevent sports injuries to start with. There is no way to fully protect them, because accidents are going to happen no matter what. However, if you follow the proper procedures, you can lower the risk of it taking place.

• Get a complete physical examination from a medical professional like a sports injury chiropractor to ensure they will be able to meet the demands of the sport they want to play
  • Allow water breaks every 20 minutes
  • Keep an eye on overusing body parts when kids try and do too much too soon after an injury
  • Talk with the coaches about their qualifications and commitment to safety
  • Don't allow your child to play without the proper, well-fitting equipment necessary for the sport (shoes, pads, helmets, etc.)
  • Encourage warm-ups and cooldowns if the coach doesn't make sure they do it before and after playing to prevent strains and sprains
  • Don't put your child in an advanced game or on a team they aren't ready for

Your child isn't going to likely know what they can and can't do physically. It's up to you to watch them for fatigue and other medical conditions that could lead to an injury or illness. Talk with them about how they are feeling after they participate so that if there are any areas of concern you can address them right away.

Let Your Children Have Fun

The main reason that kids want to play a sport is because they want to have fun. You can't keep them wrapped up in a bubble forever. Well, you could, but it wouldn't be beneficial for anyone. If your child shows interest in sports, let them explore what they can do. It's great for exercise and for the social aspect as well.

Just keep in mind that you don't want them to overwork their still growing bodies. A good rule to follow is not to let them practice or play for longer than they are years old. For example, if your son is 14, he shouldn't be playing or practicing for more than 14 hours total every week. Also, be sure they get enough rest in between so that their bodies can fully heal, recharge, and be ready to give it their all when it's time to play again.

Works Cited

Costa, S. (2015, November 6). Beyond Band-Aids: How to Handle Kids' Sports Injuries. Retrieved November 5, 2018, from U.S. News & World Report: https://health.usnews.com/health-news/health-wellness/articles/2015/11/06/beyond-band-aids-how-to-handle-kids-sports-injuries

Healthwise Staff. (2017, November 29). Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation (RICE). Retrieved November 5, 2018, from Michigan Medicine University of Michigan: https://www.uofmhealth.org/health-library/tw4354spec

Putukian, M. (n.d.). Mind, Body and Sport: How being injured affects mental health. Retrieved November 5, 2018, from NCAA: http://www.ncaa.org/sport-science-institute/mind-body-and-sport-how-being-injured-affects-mental-health

Sports Injury Statistics. (n.d.). Retrieved November 5, 2018, from Johns Hopkins Medicine: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/healthlibrary/conditions/pediatrics/sports_injury_statistics_90,p02787