6 Ways To Keep Your New Years Resolution

Yes, even if you've already broken it.
92

If you're anything like me, you've probably already broken your New Years resolution multiple times... and we're only a couple of weeks into 2018.

Resolutions are tough, and they're meant to be that way. If they were easy to stick with, they wouldn't be worth trying. Luckily, there are no repercussions if you slip up every now and then. Whether your resolution is to exercise more, eat healthier, make new friends, or something totally random like learning to juggle, it is worth starting back again each time you drop the ball (pun intended).

Here are some methods you can use to stay committed to making a change in your life this year:

1. Set specific goals

It can be easy to convince yourself that you've already been working toward your goal if the goal that you've set for yourself is vague and open-ended. For instance, if you set a goal to "eat healthier this year," then you could say "I didn't eat that candy bar I saw today. How healthy of me!" When your meals consisted of greasy pizza and ramen, turning down one candy bar doesn't seem like a huge feat. When setting your goals, try being more specific. Instead of "Eat healthier," your goal could be "Cut gluten out of my diet."

2. Leave reminders for yourself

I am a very forgetful person. And it's easier to forget to do something if you already don't want to do that thing. Setting an alert on your phone or leaving a note on your bathroom mirror can be a great way to remind yourself to follow through with your resolution.

3. Use a support system

Having a friend to keep you accountable for keeping your resolution is one of the best ways to stick with it. Knowing that someone is counting on you to do something makes you much more likely to do it. It also helps if your friend has the same resolution, so you can keep them in check as well.

4. Rid yourself of temptations

If your resolution is to eat less junk food, it doesn't make sense to buy Doritos and pizza rolls every time you go to the grocery store (No, I'm not speaking from experience! Why do you ask?). Throw away all the junk food in your kitchen and buy foods that will help you stick to your goals.

5. Schedule time for your resolution

You've got to make time in your day for things that are important to you. If making this change in your life is something you want to take seriously, make sure you pencil in time for it in your busy schedule. If your resolution is to exercise more, set your alarm an hour or two earlier so you can hit the gym before work. If you want to learn Portuguese, take some time each night to learn a few phrases before bed. This method is also super helpful because if you make something a routine, it will eventually become a habit.

6. Reward yourself

If you notice that you've had a particularly difficult week, but still managed to keep your resolutions, it is totally acceptable to reward yourself for your hard work! Just make sure not to reward yourself with a huge ice cream sundae if your resolution is to stop eating ice cream sundaes...

Overall, just make sure that you are enjoying yourself and that your resolution is making a positive impact on your life. The beginning of a new year is a chance to start anew and make great changes. Don't let the opportunity pass you by. You've got this!