Keeping the Distance

Keeping the Distance

The trials and tribulations of LDS

186
Keeping the Distance
The Happy Couple

I didn't think that 170 miles would be that big of a deal. I thought it isn't that far but truth is long distance sucks even if it's one hundred miles or three thousand miles. The idea of being able to hold the relationship together from across the sea can give a queasy feeling. The bottom line is if it's a friendship or a significant other it sucks. I have't left yet and I'm starting to feel the effects.

Today keeping in touch is so much easier. When my parents were in college there were times they would only speak to one another once because that's all they had time for. I've thought long and hard about this and although communication is holding the relationship together you have to be careful on what you say and how you say it.

Keep in contact. Don't lose contact, try to make a point of contact everyday. Whether that's through texting, calling, FaceTime. We have so many ways to keep in contact today, use it to your advantage. Most of the time it's repeating back and forth that we love each other even though we both know it.

Holding together a long distance relationship is a mutual effort and decision. Being separated is quite difficult however, it gives you time to think for yourself and create other relationships. You both have to decided you trust one another but also respect the space they need to adjust to their new lifestyle. I knew we wanted to stay together and we are both willing to work together to get through it.

Keep in mind there is going to be bad days for both of you. Respect each others space and don't take anything out on the other. Somedays you might be having a really rough day and you don't feel very good and you really miss your significant other. Getting through that rough day gets you closer to being with whom you're missing.

Sometimes it helps to look forward to when you'll see them next. I like knowing and being excited to see my boyfriend. It gets you through the hard times and you both have something to look forward too.

Although leaving him was harder than I thought we both know we have to do this. It will make us stronger as a pair once we're through with it. Keeping direct contact helps get through the hard days. And I already know when I'm going to see him again. These miles suck but they're worth every penny so I can stay with him.