Kawhi The Cavalier

Kawhi The Cavalier

With the reported unrest in San Antonio, it's time to dicuss sending Kawhi to Cleveland.

156
Kawhi The Cavalier

In truth, this story ultimately won't have a resolution until the end of the NBA season. Despite this, the mere thought of Kawhi Leonard being sent to Cleveland via trade is too interesting an idea to not discuss. A 2-time All-Star, Finals MVP, and DPotY, Leonard is in the midst of a dispute (allegedly) with his current team, the San Antonio Spurs. On top of those reports come more reports that Leonard is unhappy in San Antonio. Now in situations like this, I prefer to withhold any real excitement because it remains possible that this story is overblown. However, Kawhi the Cavalier has a nice "ring" to it. Get it?

If you were Leonard, why would you want to leave? You're a member of one of the top teams in the entire league with one of the greatest coaches of all time in Gregg Popovich. Situations like this never seem to happen to the Spurs. With Pop at the helm, the Spurs are considered the epitome of efficiency and respect. Pop respects his players, and they respect him back. Strange to think that any dispute would escalate to the point of Leonard wanting out of San Antonio.

On top of it being strange for Leonard to want to leave, the dispute itself begs some questions. Leonard has missed all but nine games this season and is currently the out due to a quad injury, an injury that has been cleared by doctors for him to return to play. Only, reportedly, Leonard doesn't feel comfortable playing on his quad yet. When it comes to any injury, the mental aspect of the healing process is often forgotten but can be a major uphill climb by itself. It isn't often that you hear of a professional dealing with that challenge. Typically, the player returns to the field whenever the doctors say too. This case of Leonard reportedly holding out from rejoining his team and his teams reported unhappiness all have cumulated to Leonard wanting out.

So, concern about the legitimacy of these reports exists. Concern about Leonard's mental capability of playing basketball again should exist. More concern exists about the seriousness of Leonard's injuries. All of those need to be considered when the possibility of trading for Leonard is put on the table. So, what is his value? Using the Kyrie trade as an example, given the similarities between the situations, Kyrie cost the Celtics a first-round pick plus three players. However, the Spurs and the Cavs are not in the same conference, which helps the Cavs. Kawhi is coming off an injury, which lowers the price given the Cavaliers recent history in trading for injured players. Lastly, Leonard wants out which doesn't give the Spurs much wiggle room.

All of those factors should bring the price down for the cost of Leonard. At the least, the trade would have to include the first-round pick the Cavaliers hold. Despite having a roster spot, the Cavaliers likely would send players in exchange for Leonard along with the draft pick. That would make at least some dent in the Cavaliers cap situation and luxury tax. As to who those players might be, it is difficult to say. The economic answer would be some of the overpaid veterans like TT or even JR [ :'( ]. The goal at the end of this should be Leonard and Love. Those two, plus the young guys the Cavaliers traded for earlier this season, might be enticing enough that LeBron returns. Those three playing together would be a dream come true.

If I were Kawhi, I would want to be in Cleveland. I might be just a little biased but the way I see it, the Western Conference is far too crowded right now. Kawhi should absolutely be looking east, with Cleveland, Philly, Boston, and even Toronto being my top destinations. Kawhi is such a high caliber player that either of those destinations become nearly automatic bids to June basketball. But in Cleveland, you're talking about a team with such high caliber players that even a healthy Warriors team should be a little nervous. Speaking of the Warriors, it is almost time for their reign to come to an end. Kawhi to Cleveland puts him, LeBron, and Love in a position to become the most dangerous team in the league. Something to think about for Kawhi.