Derek Jeter Continues To Tarnish His Legacy With Actions As Marlins CEO

He continues to claim that the team will be able to compete and win now, which is ultimately the problem with his approach.

533

Derek Jeter is one of the most prolific baseball players of all time. A World Series Champion, an all time Yankee, and a surefire Hall of Famer are just some of the man's many accolades. However, his new job, the CEO of the Miami Marlins, isn't going quite as well, and I'd argue it could take away from his initial legacy in the game of baseball.

For a bit of background to those who don't know what Derek Jeter's been doing since he retired from the game of baseball, he joined an ownership group that purchased the Miami Marlins franchise. He is the CEO and controls all day to day operations, and basically controls the team. What were his first moves as effectively the owner of the team? Well, he traded their four best players to other teams. Giancarlo Stanton won NL MVP. Marcell Ozuna and Dee Gordon were exciting young talents. Christian Yelich was a young a player who was just starting to come to his own. All of them were traded after Jeter came in and wanted to cut payroll.

Jeter is very clearly rebuilding for the future. He is tanking the team now to be able to get better players in the future as well as better draft position. However, he adamantly attacks anyone who claims he's tanking. This week on HBO's "Real Sports With Bryant Gumbel," he scoffs at Gumbel's notion that the team is tanking in the interview, and proceeds to call him "mentally weak" for not being able to understand the Marlins' new direction. While that may sound bad, you can read a full list of quotes that demonstrate Derek's "rejection" of tanking here.

Derek continues to claim that the team will be able to compete and win now, which is ultimately the problem with his approach. He is telling the fans one thing while making moves with the team that take them in a totally different direction. There are a number of other baseball teams, such as the San Diego Padres, that are upfront about the fact that they are rebuilding and that things will take time. The Chicago Cubs and the Houston Astros, the two most recent World Series champions, were totally upfront about the fact they were rebuilding until they could contend for all the years they were terrible. The Philadelphia 76ers, a basketball team who has won their first playoff series in 6 years, tanked to get to where they are. But they were upfront about it.

This is also a Marlins franchise that has gone through a plethora of owners and several rebuilds the last few years. When they see it happen once again, and are yet again charged for an inferior product. Derek Jeter's leadership doesn't come across as revolutionary. It comes off as disingenuous. And disingenuous leadership at the top doesn't exactly help the franchise, or it's fans in any way.

A rebuild is nothing new to sports fans. Tanking is nothing new to sports fans. But an owner who was given a team because of his legacy as a baseball player with no experience in managing an organization saying his team will contend after selling off all of their players and assets? That disingenuous approach won't work, and it will only hurt Jeter's legacy as one of the bonafide greats of the game.