College is a time of self-discovery, new opportunities and FOMO (fear of missing out). As a freshman in college, the hardest part has not been the work or the classes or even making friends, but it has been learning to say no. I found myself saying yes to any and every opportunity presented to me that involved going out and doing fun things, but that lifestyle cost me greatly.
I had to learn to say no to doing something every night of the week so I could get homework done and be successful as well as take time for myself.
I had started the school year out by putting homework on the back burner because I told myself 'oh I can do that tomorrow night'. The reality was, though, that I would always think that which resulted in high stress because I had a lot of homework to get done and almost no time to do it. As a new student, saying no to hanging with friends is hard and scary because you don't want to miss out on something fun and exciting. Another thing I noticed; was I was scared to say no because I didn't think people would ask to hang out again. That fact, though, is not true. Often times people understand and don't think much of it. Even though missing out on one experience may suck, there is still plenty more to be had. Four years is a long time and one night it won't break it for you.
Another critical element in college is self-care. Saying no to something in order to make time for yourself is okay! In fact, it's necessary. Our bodies get burned out so easily sometimes that a night in is crucial in your success. Having the energy to go to class and learn new things is so important and is why saying no is sometimes the only option.
I know college is hard and scary, but the importance of saying no is something that will benefit you more than it will hurt you, regardless of what you might believe.
- How And Why To Practice Self-Care In College ›
- How to Overcome College FOMO ›
- FOMO: A Real College Disease ›
- 6 Ways To Cope With Your FOMO In College ›
- FOMO Hits The Hardest In College ›
- 8 Quick Self-Care Strategies for College Students — Mindsoother ... ›
- The 7 Types of FOMO All College Students Suffer Through | Her ... ›
- 10 Ways to Avoid FOMO in College - College Magazine ›
- FOMO and the College Student: Tap Your Inner Wisdom ... ›
- The Science of FOMO and What We're Really Missing Out On ... ›
- Fomo - Urban Dictionary ›