How And Why To Practice Self-Care In College
Self Love

Self-Care Is The Best Care And It's OK To Take Time For Yourself

Tips for self care to get you through the year.

82
Photo by Lisa Fotios from Pexels

College students know that attending college is not an easy task. At some point, you're going to feel as if you can't deal with the stress of school anymore. This is why self-care is important; because you need to take care of yourself if you want to succeed at anything. You mental and physical health is important and you should take time to make sure you are at your best.

In the meantime, Try some of these things to help:

Take a nap.

Naps are the holy grail of self-care. Whether I'm having a good or bad day, I love to nap. Naps are a great way to refresh your mind and body and get you energized for the remainder of your day.

Listen to music.

Listening to my favorite songs/artists is a relaxing part of my day. Listening to music distracts me when I'm exercising or walking to class because it makes whatever I'm doing fun, all because of what is playing through my headphones in the background.

Take a bath/shower.

Showers are so relaxing because they allow you time to think and reflect on your day or the future. I have my best thoughts in the shower because you are guaranteed time alone to think.

Read.

Reading is relaxing and it always makes me want to curl up and take a nap after. I haven't read a book for fun in a while but I miss it. Reading is a captivating experience that puts you in a different setting through the characters and plot. Reading a book allows you to visualize what you are reading and essentially make your own "movie" in your head. This is a creative way to spark your creativity.

Watch your favorite TV show/movie.

Watching my favorite TV shows always makes me feel good because it's a great way to take a break from reality. Watching TV always helps my desires because I am focusing on finishing episodes and different series. I also enjoy watching movies because I feel like its nice to allow myself time to focus on an entire movie and finish it in one sitting.

Make a to-do list and check things off of it once you complete them.

Make a to-do list and check things off as you complete the tasks. Nothing is more satisfying than accomplishing what you were supposed to do. This is also a great way to make sure you are actually completing the tasks instead of putting them off.

Exercise!

Exercising gets your blood pumping through your body and it improves your mood. Exercise also increases your energy and improves your sleep, and both are very important for your well-being.

Try meditating.

Personally, I've never meditated but people I know that meditate recommend it. It is a great way to de-stress and relax your mind and body. It also reduces stress which is one of the best ways to take care of yourself.

Eat healthy meals.

Eating better makes you feel better. If you give your body the appropriate fuel it needs, you will have more energy from eating a healthy and balanced diet.

Turn off your electronics.

Many people, myself included, are addicted to electronics. I feel like I'm always on my phone on social media or watching Netflix on my TV. Social media can already be toxic with lifestyle comparisons, so it's nice to just take a break. Productivity doesn't always stem from being on electronics. You can accomplish many of the previous tasks in this article by taking a digital break.

Remember to take time for yourself!