What Jan Term Is Really Like

What Jan Term Is Really Like

The truth behind the mini-semester.

28
What Jan Term Is Really Like
Abby Zajac

As a prospective student looking at Samford, Jan Term seemed like an amazing idea. I thought that I would use it as an opportunity to travel every year or maybe take a class that I've been dreading. As a sophomore, this is my first time using Jan term for one of the reasons stated before.

Last year, I didn't try hard enough to study abroad and went home for the month which was great until my friends went back to school and I was left working at the job I had in high school, which without a doubt I loved, but it was different to say the least.

This past fall semester I found myself saying "I'll do that during Jan Term" constantly. Everything was going to get done during Jan Term and I had a vision of myself being productive and healthy while so far I have watched Netflix and rearranged my room.

People say you'll make friends you never expected because there are so few people on campus, but when my easy math class turned to an online class, the only way for me to get human interaction is to go to coffee shops and explore Birmingham instead of sitting in a classroom everyday from 8:00 am until 12:00 pm. Not a bad thing because I love coffee and get the chance to sleep in, but I have also decided to take the Whole30 challenge this Jan Term so that I can be healthier this new year. What I didn't realize while researching Whole30 is how hard it is to eat out because there isn't a lot you can eat. Whole30 is basically a strict Paleo diet for 30 days to release the toxins from your body. Sounds great until you can't eat dairy or bread or any sugar. A problem for someone who loves Starbucks coffee, anything with carbs and cheese.

To me, Jan Term is about individuality. It is what you make it. I feel comfortable sitting in the caf alone because let's be honest I'm not the only one. I can get the best parking spot because there's a total of 5 cars in front of my dorm. Going to the gym is nice because there's no wait for any machine and I don't feel self conscious at all. Lastly, there is plenty of time to think about anything and everything.

My list of things to do during jan term keeps getting longer and longer which is okay as long as I keep going along. I have DIY projects for my room, books to read, recipes to try and a few weeks to find my peace at Samford before everyone comes back ready for Step Sing and spring semester.

To the students at home who are regretting the decision not to do Jan Term, I feel you. I was in your spot last year. I realize that no matter the decision I make based off of classes and school, I might never be happy. There will always be something to compare it to. While I sit in my room in Birmingham, I wish that I took the chance to study in London. While you sit wherever you may be, wishing you took Biblical Perspectives or Chemistry to get them over with, enjoy the time you have to yourself.

College is a crazy and busy time where we are constantly surrounded by friends, our sorority or fraternity , roommates and professors. There isn't a whole lot of time to be alone.

Take this Jan Term to celebrate yourself. The year just started and possibilities are endless. I might not have a caf date for every meal, but my to do list is getting less intimidating. I hope that at the end of this month when everyone packs up to return to Samford, I will feel refreshed. I can share the new places I found in Birmingham with my friends, tell people about all the books I read and maybe won't feel so weird next time I eat alone between classes.