James Madison Removes Bird Scooters From Campus

Bye Bye, Birdie: A Farewell To Bird Scooters

Thanks, JMU, for taking away what everyone loved the most first semester.

2872

Dear Birds,

You were one of the most exciting moments of the first semester. Not only did you bless people with the capability of falling off of them, but still somehow provided transportation from one place to the other without catching the bus. Now, sadly I have to wait out in the freezing cold longer to catch the bus with gross people that could give me germs(as if I'm not sick already from living in a dorm). You prevented me from being late to class at all costs to prevent the 20-minute walk from East to Main campus. Also, eating a pop tart while riding you was a plus. Although, you did make me feel even taller with the shortness of your bike (but that's what Lime scooters are for).

That's right, Bird, even though you thought you were all that, we still have Lime. Not only are they taller, but a whole lot more navigable(again no longer has to eat pop tart hunched over). All Lime's are more durable and have a much-needed break. Plus, they also go faster and respond quicker when activated. Sorry, Birds, but the idea of me pushing you up a hill when it's below freezing outside isn't ideal or an enjoyable ride. Every lime scooter trip I've had is seemingly effortless(no walking required). Also, I was able to find more Lime scooters readily available without a low battery.

If people think Bird scooters are everywhere, that would be very incorrect. Searching for a Bird bike was like finding treasure on a treasure map(again, not very easy). When you know you're at that point, walking or taking the bus is probably quicker. Another reason Lime scooters are better is that of their color. Who doesn't like green? The logo is inviting, attention-grabbing, and have you wishing it was summer during the winter. Once again, not like traditional black and white for a Bird scooter. Let's not forget the quickness of Lime scooters. They go much faster than Birds (up to 18 miles per hour) even on a hill, while Birds offer up to 15 miles per hour.

However, my biggest shoutout to Lime scooters is with no shoveled sidewalks in downtown Harrisonburg, I was still able to ride my Lime scooter on patches of ice. Lastly, the Lime scooter app is quicker to activate on your phone. Compared to the Bird scooter app, it would freeze up and choose to not work(for me risking being late to class). Even Though people are more favorable towards Bird, it is easy to see why Lime scooters are so much better.

Regardless of which motor scooter is your favorite, the reliability is key and cheaper than taking an Uber car and worrying if the right bus will come. So the next time you think about renting a motor scooter, think about availability first, speed second, and cost third.