At Indiana University, Bird (Scooters) Is The Word
Education

At Indiana University, Bird Is The Word

Hoosiers are getting to class in the most unconventional way yet.

115
https://unsplash.com/photos/LEeYiYmx8FA

A few weeks ago, Bird scooters made their way at IU. If you're a student at IU, you have probably seen people around Bloomington and throughout campus riding a Bird scooter. For a flat-rate of $1 and for 20 cents per minute, you can ride a Bird. Originally starting in California, these scooters have made their way to cities and universities all throughout the U.S. Bird's are most popular in areas that require a lot of walking — making college campuses the perfect destination for electronic scooters.

If you've never heard of the Bird scooters — here's the low down. They're electric scooters that you can pick up from any location and immediately start riding. You also need a valid driver's license and a form of payment. The scooters don't have a specific pick-up or park location and can be picked up or parked from a Bird-approved area. You download the Bird app to locate a bird, scan it using the QR code on the scooter, enter your information, and start riding!

From personal experience, I can tell you that these scooters are fun. As I was walking to my 9:30 a.m. class, I counted 13 people riding around campus on these electric scooters. By 2:30 p.m., I counted 22 people riding a Bird. Students are choosing this form of transportation because it is both fun and affordable. The Bird also takes you to your destination faster! Whether you need to get home, go to class or run an errand, a Bird can take you there.

Aside from riding Birds, you can also make money off them. You can register to become a charger, where you collect several Birds at a time and charge them overnight. Once Bird sends you a pack of chargers for no charge, you can start charging! You make money while you sleep — literally. In the morning, you release the Birds in an approved area. The more desperately a Bird needs to be charged, the more you make. If you have a car on campus, this is an easy way to make money.

The Bird scooters coming to campus allow students to get to class and around town in an efficient, affordable, and fun way. Although it's fun to ride around on an electric scooter, students should take precautions to remain safe. This includes wearing a helmet, respecting other pedestrians and riding responsibly. I've witnessed people falling off their scooters in the middle of the street while attempting to do tricks. If students want Birds to remain on campus, they need to abide by the safety rules and regulations.