I've Become A "Homebody" And I'm Loving It

POMO is the new FOMO

67
s-media-cache.com

As a bright eyed- bushy tailed college freshman hot off of being captain of this that and the other high school team and club, I was more than ready to dive into all on- campus university life offers. I went to activity fairs, sporting event pep rallies (I like food, sports not so much), and spent almost every week with friends, at parties, or always doing something.

Fast-forward to senior year of college, and I'm still always doing something (some might even argue that I'm doing too much but hey, I'm a go- getter). Between organizations that I am a part of and projects I've gotten myself into, I don't really have much time. Without even considering family obligations and outside influences, form the moment I open my eyes to the second I lay my head down on my pillow, my schedule is packed.

Of this, I am sure many of you can relate.

Although I've spent my undergraduate years keeping busy, the farther along in my academics I've gotten, the less of a desire I've had to go out and do anything until 3 am. Another revelation that, no doubt, many college seniors are finding themselves having. I'm not saying that now I don't like going dancing or I don't like being social, but mannnnnn let me tell you that I sure as hell do love doing all that stuff prior to 11 pm.

I've always been the type of person who would go to sleep at 7 pm if you let me, but in the interest of being socially active I pushed myself to go out late, even though I knew that by 10:30 I would start getting cranky and whining that I wanted to go home. This situation is a difficult one to be in, as for most after school hours club events, parties, and sports games, you come with a group and in the interest of your personal safety you want to leave with that group. As a woman, that's doubly important for late nights.

Now, I find myself leaving early or sometimes not even making the effort to go out if I know the event is going to run late. I will make up excuses, go back on those excuses, I'll even text a friend and ask if it's worth it to go if I know I'll get tired by the end. The worst thing for me is when we're "going out," and there is no ETA to my bed in sight; all I see in my future is an endless night. I just don't have the stamina anymore. I catch an attitude, and then I don't have a good time. Not having a good time kind of defeats the purpose of "going out to have a good time."

A recent Vice article on how Everyone Lies to Avoid Hanging Out with Each Other mentions that ""It may be that FOMO—the Fear of Missing Out—has run its course, as a new survey identifies the power of POMO... the PLEASURE Of Missing Out." That's me right there. Things like napping, taking a bubble bath, reading a book, or having a cup of coffee while I stalk other people on the Internet seems much more comforting and appealing than being on the dance floor at 2 am with tears streaming down my face from exhaustion. Albeit, I still do feel some type of way when I bow out of an event and then I see photos from the night before pop up on my social newsfeeds. I then take a second to rethink it and I know that everyone looks like they had a blast in those pics, but I would have been annoyed and dying to go, seeing that the time stamp from the new album is 2 am. Late nights are just not for everyone.

However, a morning dance party or any event that wraps up before 9 pm is so my speed. Okay, actually, sometimes I am tired during the day so even that I might be inclined to avoid. It's often so exasperating to deicide if I'm going, decide what I'm wearing, decide if I'm spending money... Hell, sometimes the trip to a destination and the thought of returning back by train or car or foot are enough to deter me from going.

*Sidenote: It's really annoying and monotonous for other people to tell me I'm "being boring," I'm a "buzzkill," or I "have no life." In case you thought this was news to me or I didn't know: I KNOW.

Things like being "exciting" or "having a life" take two things that no one individual has all the time: energy and money. So yeah, at this point in my life I'm a 20- something "homebody" if you want to call it that, and yeah, I'm loving it. The Power Of Missing Out is real.