It's Time To Stop Body Shaming The Skinny Girls

Maybe we don't want to eat a hamburger.
133

As a woman with a naturally thin body type, I've heard all to many times, "Eat a Hamburger!" or "How are you so skinny?" I've even been warned to make sure I'm taking in enough calories, especially if I'm going to have an active lifestyle.

Women with thin body types should be able to eat healthy foods without because accused of "starving ourselves" or "watching our figure." We should not be encouraged to eat unhealthy foods with little to no nutritional value just to put on a few extra pounds. If we are taking in a healthy amount of calories each day and eating a balanced diet, then we are healthy, regardless of our weight. We don't need anyone else making suggestions as to how we might change our eating habits.

Sometimes, we eat healthy foods, not to lose weight or make sure we stay skinny, but to fuel our bodies with the nutrients they need, and without the junk that it doesn't need.

Women with thin body types should also be able to go to the gym without being questioned as to why we are there. If you see a skinny girl at the gym, chances are, she isn't there to lose weight, so there's no need for the concerned looks and judgmental glances. We are not there to stay skinny.

While losing weight is a great goal for individuals to have when exercising regularly, that is not the only reason to work out. Maybe that girl wants to gain weight in the form of muscle. Maybe she is an athlete. Maybe she wants to treat her body well. Maybe she simply enjoys exercising. It is a good thing to work out, stay active, and maintain a healthy lifestyle, even if the goal is not to lose weight. If a girl with a thin body type wants to spend time at the gym, there's nothing wrong with that.

There should be less focus on how much a person weighs, and more focus on how healthy their eating and exercising habits are. If a person is living a healthy, balanced lifestyle, we should encourage them, and not suggest that they change how they are living simply due to a number on the scale. And if you don't know whether or not a person is living a healthy lifestyle, don't make assumptions based on their outer appearance. Let's focus less on the number on the scale, the size a person wears, or the way a person looks, and instead, focus more on whether we are treating our bodies well.

So next time you think about telling a skinny girl to "eat a hamburger," just don't. She can decide that for herself, without your hurtful comments.