It's Time To Talk About Depression. Yes, We Said It.

Anonymous college students explain what depression is to them serving as a wake-up call to society.

245

Why is depression such a social stigma? Is it because you don’t understand? Is it because you don’t care? As someone who was diagnosed with depression at 18 years old, I have always been afraid to talk about it. To explain to people why I am acting a certain way. To make them understand. To make them aware that it isn’t the end of the world. In today’s society, no one wants to talk about it. Well, it's time my friends. Let's stop being ignorant and listen up. This is for all of you who need to know what it’s really like for us.

1. “Depression makes your mind believe that you're not good enough, that you deserve the very worst, even though you have the support around you.”

2. “Depression makes you feel as though no one, not your best friend or even your own mother, could possibly understand how you’re feeling when you get in that bad state of mind.”

3. “Depression makes you feel like your mind is a black hole and the horrible thoughts you have are constantly falling in that black hole and it's hard for you to climb out.”

4. “Depression is the constant feeling of being numb. It's like all these emotions are hitting you at once and you don't know what to do with them because they are an overwhelming sense of numbness."

5. “Depression makes you feel like you're drowning and there are times you don't want even try to swim. You feel worthless, helpless and don't find the joy in anything anymore. It fills your heart, consumes your soul, and takes so much energy.”

6. “Depression makes me feel like it's a constant battle of tug and war until one side decides that they want to win or lose.”

7. “Depression is like a lifestyle. It’s something that we will have to deal with every single day for the rest of our lives.”

8. “Depression is such a social stigma. No one wants to talk about it and those of us who do… We’re written off in other’s minds as crazy.”

9. “Depression needs to be talked about. There are so many people who need help and because it’s so frowned upon, people are afraid to ask for help."

10. "Depression isn’t the end of the world. I promise. It gets better. That sounds so generic, but I swear it is true. There is a light at the end of the pitch black tunnel that so many are in. I know. I have been there."

11. "Depression does not mean you are at all in any way, shape or form weak. It means that you have been strong for far too long."

There you have it. We are not freaks. We are not crazy. We are people. We may have bad days but, we are strong. We are beautiful. We see the light and we are walking towards it. No, we are running toward it.