How To Turn A Bad Day Into A Good Day

How To Turn A Bad Day Into A Good Day

It's just a bad day. Not a bad life.

21
Kat Dingee

We have all had that day where every single little thing goes completely wrong. You wake up thirty minutes late for work and jump into the shower only to find out that there is no hot water left. Then, while you’re rushing to get dressed, you spill hot coffee all over your white t-shirt; resulting in your having to change because your boss doesn’t want a wet t-shirt contest at work. Once you get to work, you realize you have forgotten your lunch. So, looks like you’re starving yourself until 5:00 p.m. You are forced to deal with bitchy customers all day, who have no problem cursing you out over the phone. After a long day of your supervisor bossing you around, you think, “Finally, I get to go home!.” But, that’s stopped short when you get a flat tire on the highway, forty minutes from your house.

To answer your question, Yes. We have all had a day where we just can’t win. It seems like every minute, something is going wrong. It’s easy to throw in the towel for the day, crawl into bed, and not wake up until the next morning. It’s safer that way; nothing else can possibly go wrong if you are lying in bed, right? And that’s OK if you want to do that! If you feel better by hiding under your blankets, and watching Gossip Girl until you fall asleep, then do it. But, there is a better way to handle the bad day blues - a more efficient way to turn your bad day into a good day.

Instead of crawling into bed after a long, miserable, day, go for a jog! Working out makes people feel better about themselves physically, and emotionally. Go for a long run and clear your head. Don’t hide in the darkness of your room.

Try eating more healthfully.

When the body is exhausted, it craves junk food. So, instead of getting McDonalds after work, buy yourself some healthy groceries and whip something up in your kitchen. If you eat better, you will feel better!

Listen to country music, even if you don’t like it.

I don’t care if you don’t like country music. But, if you’re having a bad day, roll down your windows and blast some country music as loud as you can. You’ll be surprised how many words you know to the songs you’re listening to. There’s no better feeling than listening to country music and having the wind blow through your hair.

Remind yourself how awesome you are, instead of being pissed off at the world.

You’ve made it this far in life. So why let one bad day diminish you of all your good? Look in the mirror, and tell yourself that you are great. Make a list of everything you have accomplished so far in life, and hang it up on your wall. Now, look at that every morning as a reminder that you’re the shit.

Drink a glass of wine, not the entire bottle.

Treating yourself to a glass or two of wine at night is a good way to relax, and reflect on your day. Treating yourself to the entire bottle of wine, isn’t treating yourself at all. It’s cheating yourself. Drinking that bottle before bed won’t make you feel any better. But, it will give you a hangover in the morning.

Retail therapy is the best kind of therapy.

Once in a while, it's always nice to treat yourself to something nice. Especially when you've had such a shitty day. Go out and spoil yourself. Buy yourself that one thing you have always wanted. Maybe it's a new Michael Kors purse. Maybe it's a movie you have been wanting to watch. Whatever it is, treat yourself. You deserve it!

Turn off Netflix, and read a book.

You will be surprised how rewarding it feels when you have finished reading a long novel. Reading a book makes people more intelligent, and more in touch with the world around them. Netflix glues people to their couches, but you can read anywhere — at the gym, on the beach, or at the park. Reading provides you with a way to relax and enjoy yourself.

And most importantly, remember: It’s just a bad day. Not a bad life.